Cheapest chain oil?

jamallio96

The manuals for chainsaws in the army tell us to use OEP220 which in English is gearbox oil. A lot thicker than vegetable oil like a lot of you are saying to use. I take it the army are just getting this really wrong (nothing new there).

They would probably say there's not enough call to justify procurement of a specific oil but maybe there's a more suitable oil already in the system.

Sorry for the slight derail

Time was we used EP 90 (gear oil) because that's pretty much what we had, that was several decades ago and, while there are now alternatives that may or may not be better, the old stuff still works.

Its not so much a case of getting it wrong as much as things have moved on

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time was we used EP 90 (gear oil) because that's pretty much what we had, that was several decades ago and, while there are now alternatives that may or may not be better, the old stuff still works.

Its not so much a case of getting it wrong as much as things have moved on

Ep 90 is the same thickness as our mineral chain oil but has a different additive set. The chain oil has a tacky additive and an anti wear one. I am not sure I'de want Ep 90 spraying all over the place.

Ep 90 is the same thickness as our mineral chain oil but has a different additive set. The chain oil has a tacky additive and an anti wear one. I am not sure I'de want Ep 90 spraying all over the place.

Your not wrong there, it's a mixture of oil and slug snot for tackyness!

Well it was three decades ago and it was that or used engine oil, some of us were there when "tacky oil" was new and novel

EP90 stinks.

I grant you it does have a certain "bouquet" about it but its one of those aromas that instantly triggers memories.

You haven lived till you have been elbows deep in some decades old series land rover drive train needing to get it fixed before Monday rolls around again :lol:

I grant you it does have a certain "bouquet" about it but its one of those aromas that instantly triggers memories.

You haven lived till you have been elbows deep in some decades old series land rover drive train needing to get it fixed before Monday rolls around again :lol:

Been there done that, leave it to the young lads now.