Vat killing me!

simonm

Why? Do you think a fleet of EU submarines is going to blockade shipping to the UK?

Most clothing and electronics are imported. Why should we be bothered if the country isn't self sufficient in food?

imho, the billions spent on farming would be better spent subsidising growth industries like robotics/ high tech materials/ batteries etc. These are actually industries that could provide highly paid jobs etc. It always amazes me how little economic product a farm worth millions produces. For instance a 2,000 acre hill farm might be worth £2m, yet it will only produce say 1,000 lambs worth £50 each. It seems strange to push so much money into an industry that produces very little.

If places like Africa are to escape grinding poverty they will have to build industries. For that reason I'd rather we imported more food from Africa....

Your right lets build cheap houses over all the farmland and let the immigrants live there instead😁

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

lol, farmers get £2.7 billion of subsidies and produce £3.2 billion of GDP.... it's almost laughable.

United Kingdom GDP From Agriculture | 1990-2016 | Data | Chart | Calendar

That's quarterly figures for gdp I believe, so subsidies would be around a fifth of the total. I wonder if all the people doing the subsidy paperwork/inspections are included in agricultural gdp :001_smile:

Is it all about the money?

Is keeping the countryside the way it looks now worth nothing?

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I live in Scotland. We have millions of acres of hill land that have been grazed bare by sheep. If we left the hill land to nature we'd have more forest.

The pic below is what happens when sheep and deer have been excluded from an area of hill. The natural forest around Glen Affric etc is a million times nicer than land grazed bare by sheep.

Fair enough keeping the sheep if they were creating millions of well paid jobs... but they are not.

enclosure.jpg.e3eb9efb8a4ca0da36ae0cfaf2a5e242.jpg

That's quarterly figures for gdp I believe, so subsidies would be around a fifth of the total.

my apologies :( you are correct.

Farmers don't have to pay business rates on their farm. So that means some guy in a tiny corner shop has to pay rates while a multi millionaire farmer pays nothing. It's not really fair.

Farmers get loads of subsidies that few other industries get. Yet they still don't add much to the economy, pay cr4p wages and do nothing but complain.

Here's a beauty....

So, you're VAT registered, the job has over run and you're caught on the hop with no packed lunch, you're at the cafe / restaurant / take away getting a feed....

Because you're tighter than an otters sphincter you ask for a VAT receipt so you can reclaim that which might be due....

Imagine the look on the face of the Doris serving up the hot roast pork roll with apple chutney.....

Luckily...... HMRC have produced an easy reference guide to VAT chargeable rates on food:

Food & Drink

If you don't want to read the whole thing (it's a bit long winded), go straight to the "Summary Table" hyperlinked in the "General" paragraph after the intro.... It's a joy to read...

:joyman:

Remediating the effect industrial process (agriculture) has had in making it look the way it does now would be better....

Oh dear kev, you've fairly got farmer bashing bit between your teeth now:), when you say remediation do you mean letting vast tracts of land grow wild?

Oh dear kev, you've fairly got farmer bashing bit between your teeth now:), when you say remediation do you mean letting vast tracts of land grow wild?

That's not at all the case....

But it certainly is way past time for a re-think on how we're currently doing it.

The examples are far too wide and varied to quote so I'm not going to....