The saw you love....

stihlmadasever

As the title says...What saw do you love..and why.

Im sure this has been done before but...well i dont care :001_tt2:

Mine is the Stihl MS180.I bought the saw 4 years ago off an old fella who had probably only used it half a dozen times for logs.

It cost me 80 quid and its by far the best saw ive used...bear with me on this...

Ive had some great saws,the first i ever used was the 038 mag with a 20inch bar for snedding and crosscutting at a small wood on a farmers land.I bought that saw and it paid itself back, and then some,with the work i got with it.

When it started to play up i spend a lot of time and money trying to fix it but it was beyond my skill and patience level at that time which kind of soured my opinion of the saw.

The 180 however has never let me down,when my 200 topper copt it and i didnt have the cash to buy a 540,the 180 took over.When the 250 i had was playing up,the 180 stepped in and saved the day.I even take it to work incase the 261's go in a huff (as they sometimes do).

All ive done to that little saw is bore 2 small holes in the muffler,thats it-never took the plug out never mind change it.

It comes with me on every job,starts all the time,runs sweet and it can bury its little nose into the same wood a 261 would cut.(although it takes a good bit longer)

The reason ive started this thread is ive been offered 50quid for my 180,tbh i think it would take 500 to prise it from my hands.

So,whats the saw you love,a great servant ? Or maybe a saw that you built yourself,pehaps even the saw you use most often as its ergonomical and is fit for the task.

Look forward to reading your replys.

Apologies for the spelling and grammer.

Thanks all

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got to say my old 038 ( my first stihl ) . it's a metal one when i bought it from Ebay , i started it and used it all was good in the world then i realised i was only pulling the trigger half way. There was a stub of stick in the handle stopping the trigger once removed the thing was a rocket and ate all i put in front of it.

Ive relegated it to firewood processing at home now but it's a pleasure to work with and it's a little better since it's had a new pot and piston and carb fitted