A bizarre frame of mind

jtw2140

I'm a definitely an inexperienced climber given its not my normal day job, but I love the work! And always want to know more that can help me be a better climber!

However, bizarrely, I have developed this debilitating fear when I'm climbing! And I've no idea why or where it's from! I'm slow, and check and re check everything, I worry about my anchors and about using the saw anywhere near my rope or lanyard...

Anyone else ever had this, and any ideas how I can rid it and get back to loving it again!?

All the best

Are you getting enough sleep , sometimes when i feel unsure it's usually lack of sleep

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What has come across on this thread is, firstly, the lad has bravely admitted there is a problem but he has both the guts and the sense to ask advice. Secondly, there hasn't been one negative response from the climbers on here, only support and sound, experienced advice. I suppose that most people go through this at some time in their career, if it was me climbing, I would have to invest in several pairs of stout, stain proof underwear. I think I'll stick to stump grinding.

Just be a stubborn git. You'll get through any moments of doubt or anxiety by gritting your teeth and pushing past your mental boundaries.

The alternative is backing out and coming down. This will invariably make it harder for the next climb.

Eventually you'll push through your mental block.

When I started climbing I didn't think I'd get through my 38 I was that fearful of heights! I knew I was scared of heights before I started, but the drive to do this line of work was strong enough to try and conquer my fear. 3 years on from my 38 I still get nervous but I know it's all in my mind. I quite often 'have a word with myself' when I'm up there. I find getting in a comfy position, and having a sit down, taking in the view and after a few minutes I've got my mind back under control and the elvis leg has stopped! I often found climbing with someone else in the tree with me settled my nerves, and like another post says, lots of small climbs will build up your confidence for the bigger stuff. I hope you work through it mate.

I don't know what system you climb on but if you're nervous about your kit use something reassuringly simple for a while, like a split tail with prusik. If you're worried about a specific piece of kit, e.g., harness, then replace it.

As far as cutting anchors with the saw is concerned you will always have two. So really there is nothing to worry about.

Any idea where this fear come from? Is it born of imagination, i.e., irrational, or from something that happened to someone else you know or someone you read about? If doesn't sound like something has happened to you. Or did something unrelated to climbing happen that has made you look at your own mortality?

If it's irrational then you just have to find a strategy to deal with it or it might just go away, especially if you climb more and get your confidence back.

If it happened to someone else then chances are it won't happen to you as long as you remain mindful and careful.

And as Roosevelt said, "Only thing we have to fear is fear itself."

Edited by gooseflight

Also a new climber. I get the same, perhaps not so bad. I used to be terribly afraid of heights and it still kicks in occasionally, just a few deep breaths, check the gear and force myself to carry on. The biggest fear for me is knowing whether a limb is safe to tie onto, spotting dead branches isn't easy all the time but I just trust that over time i will get better at spotting it. Fear is healthy, keeps you alive.

Heres some advice I was given years ago which really helped me out. Its down to frame of mind as your title so aptly puts it. Next time you nip up a little fruit tree to prune it, you know the type, 10ft off the ground with an open crown that you comfortably step from branch to branch, no harness, and not a care in the world. You need to capture that frame of mind you are in and then apply it equally when you are 70ft up a tree.

What has come across on this thread is, firstly, the lad has bravely admitted there is a problem but he has both the guts and the sense to ask advice. Secondly, there hasn't been one negative response from the climbers on here, only support and sound, experienced advice. I suppose that most people go through this at some time in their career,

Isn't this how it should be and the whole point of this forum? It's good to see too:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Just be a stubborn git. You'll get through any moments of doubt or anxiety by gritting your teeth and pushing past your mental boundaries.

The alternative is backing out and coming down. This will invariably make it harder for the next climb.

Eventually you'll push through your mental block.

Can't agree more, in the early days it's lots about pushing your personal boundaries a little bit more. With confidence in the kit and the anchor point comes more comfort. Fear is healthy, until it comes overwhelming.

I used to remind myself that I was the climber, this was my job and there was no-one else to ask to do it (there often wasn't years ago) A degree of stubbornness, pride, pig-headedness etc got the job done.

I've worked with a few good experienced climbers who have got down and said they couldn't do, fair play to them and their decision. I've always pushed myself a bit further and would be embarrassed to quit. When it gets really tough, take a minute, assess the situation again, check your kit, work out the possible outcomes of your next move/cut and evaluate the probability of things going to plan.

There's a lot to focus on in climbing, so be confident that you're set up correctly, your kits right and then you can focus on what you are actually meant to be doing up there. I can't work with a sticky crab, my mind is too focused on checking that than the task in hand. (I've launched a few in the past)

You'll get there:thumbup1: