Tiny echo!

Maxnaggle

It will yes but as stated it requires an extra drive link. It's 6 and 2 3s really. You either fit the standard bar and source longer chains or mod the bar and fit standard chains or just wait for the Sugi bar. My bar was already modded for my 260tes so I'll just wear it out then replace with the sugihara

I know it needs an extra drive link but that is not really a big deal when using the Stihl bar.

The Sugi bars are 4 months away just as a warning - they should take the standard 56 drive link chain BUT the Stihl chain will not fit!!

This is because the drive links on the Stihl 1/4 .043 chain are a slightly different design - they will not travel around the sprocket nose on the new sugi bars that will be coming in (I had a couple of demo bars and it's true the Stihl chain does not go round the nose sprocket tightly).

Sugihara say they can't make the nose sprocket that is able to take the chain cleanly round the nose of their bars.

Sugihara are making their own chain to go on their own bars - but you won't be able to put the Sugi chain on a Stihl bar or vice versa.

I have tried the Sugi chain and it seems good and hopefully will be up to Stihl chain - but an unnecessary complication IMO and I'm still not sure manufacturer wise who is the culprit!

The extra link is no hassle, rob ships the chains at a very competitive price, and they arive next day, as mine just did, so it is a simple enough conversion, change to a 1/4 sprocket, fit the bar stihl bar and chain, and your done.:thumbup1:

"Sugihara say they can't make the nose sprocket that is able to take the chain cleanly round the nose of their bars."

They can of course replicate Stihl bar specs. - however due to reasons unknown to us, manufacturing / tooling costs etc. they have chosen not to do so.

This has to be an unwise call, as those in the Industry are already sold on the Stihl 1/4" chain and have those chains. Users will want to be able to use the same chain / bars on both saws, where everything is interchangable.

The new Sugi chain may match the unrivalled Stihl chain and this remains to be seen.

If not it is fairly certain that we will all be getting our Stihl bars modded to avoid getting custom length chains made up (unless you make you own loops up of course).

"Sugihara say they can't make the nose sprocket that is able to take the chain cleanly round the nose of their bars."

They can of course replicate Stihl bar specs. - however due to reasons unknown to us, manufacturing / tooling costs etc. they have chosen not to do so.

This has to be an unwise call, as those in the Industry are already sold on the Stihl 1/4" chain and have those chains. Users will want to be able to use the same chain / bars on both saws, where everything is interchangable.

The new Sugi chain may match the unrivalled Stihl chain and this remains to be seen.

If not it is fairly certain that we will all be getting our Stihl bars modded to avoid getting custom length chains made up (unless you make you own loops up of course).

Yep I would also say an unwise call as well especially as the Sugi chain will not be cheap - why add complications!? I am pushing them on this point and will see what happens...

Anyone know where to get the 1/4 sprocket for these echo saws?

Rob d below your post may well be able to help, if not, any echo dealer will get one for you, the part number is posted in the first few pages of this thread.:001_smile:

Here it is...

1/4 pitch sprocket A556-001710

Edited by geoff

Got my chains through from Rob, brilliant service as usual.

I was happy enough with the saw running 3/8 chain, but it now is so smooth and fast in the cut it is in a different league, with the Stihl 150 bar.

I honestly believe any climber would benefit from this saw with this setup, it takes the fatigue out of the job, and cuts fast.

I'm glad you made the switch, Geoff.

I don't know why but I get irritated to think of people using such a brilliant saw on an inferior cutting gear!