Our own worst enemy?

Gary Prentice

Cones , foot path closed sign each end , red and white plastic barriers each end , my mate up the tree saw running , me on the pulling line . Jogger vaults the plastic barrier , jogs through the " kill " zone attempts to vault the other barrier at the opposite end catches the top and face plants on the pavement . I take off my hat and throw it down in exasperation and disbelief Bonkers .

Last May Bank Holiday some of the tourers came and got me over night the Big Oak on the Severn walk way had fork failure. Went and had a gander and by some miracle it was still suspended but the path was filled with walkers. Taped it put signs up and before I started to make it safe. I was half way through severing the fork when something made Me look round. There was a bloke and his little lad stood no further than 2 foot away from me. He thought it would be exciting for his little lad to watch. I think he understood sign as he soon took off

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had a massive Ash tree down across the only road into the village. The gale was still howling but since it was on our property I had many calls from villagers who needed to drive out for various important but not emergency issues.

I was not keen on faffing about with cones and signs due to the wind and the risk of more fallen branches. There was a long queue on either side and it was fairly obvious to everybody what I intended to do with the Teleporter.

I grabbed the offending limb which has broken off with the impact so no chainsawing was necessary, and tipped it back over the fence into the field .

I then put the muck grab on the deck and scraped the road clear enough for single file traffic. The traffic conducted itself sensibly and all was well.

On reading this thread I see I must have broken every rule in the book and probably should serve a lengthy prison term but when the Police car finally turned up a really pleasant policeman took a brush out of the back of his car, helped clean up the bits and pieces and praised me for being a good citizen

I spoke to the owner this morning. He was far from happy with the situation and pointed out that staff on the job were "at the top of the game" so this isn't what he expected. He's going to discuss their actions and deal with it.

I'm still a little unsure whether I have done the right thing, but would like to think someone would let me know if our staff had worked like this. If you're unaware, you can't improve.

Thanks for everyone's comments, it's been interested to see the spread of opinions. Funny enough the 'contact the company' ones have mainly been from the members I'd expect to take that approach, the more negative have been more surprising. Not saying that either is the right answer and the diversity is a healthy attribute of the forum.

Edited by Gary Prentice

In my opinion you've done the right thing. If someone called me and told me this - no matter how good my H&S it would make me want to impove things.

Only comment (if I may) on the OP is I think it's a bit overly dramatic - talk of mothers with pushchairs forced to play chicken with oncoming artics.... having to explain to someone's loved ones how their nearest and dearest were killed....

We all know and can imagine worse case scenarios.

This firm does not sound that bad and this is reinforced with the attitude with which the owner recieved your phone call.

How so? I've seen and worked to the prices so not making it up. As a contractor who worked on a council contract the rates were unsuitable.

So why did you agree to do it then? :001_rolleyes:

Did you tell the council you agreed to work for that you thought the money was low so you would work dangerously and cut corners?

Are you a professional arborist that puts yourself and others in danger if the monies is not good?

You have a choice what you will or wont work for.

From my experience those who are always cutting corners seldom do it because of the money.

In my opinion you've done the right thing. If someone called me and told me this - no matter how good my H&S it would make me want to impove things.

Only comment (if I may) on the OP is I think it's a bit overly dramatic - talk of mothers with pushchairs forced to play chicken with oncoming artics.... having to explain to someone's loved ones how their nearest and dearest were killed....

We all know and can imagine worse case scenarios.

This firm does not sound that bad and this is reinforced with the attitude with which the owner recieved your phone call.

I won't disagree about being overly dramatic, but I think that was in response to a criticism of 'it aint that bad'. Bad things do happen and ultimately that would be the worse case scenario.

The response from the company was great, but I've found out who was on site/in charge cos he phoned one of our lads complaining that he thought I'd grassed him up. Oops. If I'd have realised who it was, a quite word with him would have been my initial response - as I know he knows better.

It's a small community:biggrin: If he reads this, it wasn't personal. When you run/manage a business, the responsibility stops with you, so I think that I look at things more strictly, what's right and wrong. I was on the tools for 25 + years so have plenty of experience from that side of the fence and have spent the last five from the management side - so I think/hope I'm fairly well rounded.