after tips for brash burning

tree-fancier123

I've seen various posters doing jobs where the brash can be burnt on site.

I did a few like this years ago, but where I was a gardener and left the pile to dry.

What I want to know is tips and methods for burning freshly cut branches - does it work with all species and can you burn in the rain?

The job I'm going to see is ash + syc. I've heard ash will burn in the stove green - will the brash also bonfire green? What about syc?

I saw hammdog's picture of a big oak and brash being burnt - so freshly cut oak branches? Is it careful petrol to start? What about other eg white diesel?

I've used the blower to fan a fire before, but not a great help on wet hedge cuttings - it's only tree waste I'm asking about.

Thanks for reading and any replies

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've used a couple packs of firefighters and a few dry logs to get a fire going in the past. Once it's going it will burn anything and works just as quick as a chipper if you have the space for a big enough fire. I remember pollarding a big willow once and by the time I got out of the tree 90% of the brash was gone. Just be carful not to get on the neighbours tits. I'm sure there has been many arguments over smokey green wood being burnt.

Bring fire lighter blocks, and dry wood to get going, cut small with Bill hook till you have a good hot fire then just stack on but make sure you keep the brash stacked in line, once you start cris crossing the branches they won't sink down as the fie burns and you lose the hot hart to the fire that is key. Oh and chain oil may help at start but petrol is just daft, sackable if you work for me cause it's a fools game :lol:

It's a difficult art, don't go too nuts with a blower, you'll just blow the heart out of it.

Bring dry wood with you to get it going.

Or a tyre!

Hi mick use a tyre that's not good I no one farmer 10years ago burning brash so but there was 10 tyres in there The Fire Brigade turned up they could see it from the fire station as for petrol well one guy done that with Petrol and almost died here thanks John

Don't use petrol it starts to vaporise as soon as you pour it out of the can and will ignite the vapour before you get near the fire with a naked flame. Either take some dry kindling or collect some on site to start the fire with start with small sticks and build up to larger ones lay them all in one direction to stop the fire nesting and if you need to use an accelerant on a wet day use old engine oil it's less volatile and burns longer, building the bonfire on a piece of corrugated tin helps too as it reflects heat back into the fire rather than it going down into the ground.