Why does tree work pay so bad in comparison to other trades?

RexPayne

Sod paying him extra, tell him he'll drive of you'll find somebody else who will!

Should you pay people extra because they drive the work vans?

I think so, its another skill you bring to the firm that allow them to work more efficiently, also you are technically working more as the other lads are sleeping in the van while you are driving from job to job.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think so, its another skill you bring to the firm that allow them to work more efficiently, also you are technically working more as the other lads are sleeping in the van while you are driving from job to job.

Fair. I suppose there's the added risk to insurance etc (I.e. You crash or get caught speeding on work time it affects your personal premium).

It never crossed my mind when I started driving for the firm I'm at. Just happy enough to be able to make us more efficient. Then again I suppose indirectly my money went up because of that.

Plus nobody wants a team leader who can't drive the vans!

like mick said its supply and demand and there is always a plentiful supply of lads thinking they will earn twice as much going it alone and giving up after 6 months cause they can't make a go of it in the mean time they all undercut the established people keeping prices lower. That said most of us started like that, it's only the driven few that make it, most of them will admit they didn't charge enough when they started out.

THIS<<

Totally.

Fair. I suppose there's the added risk to insurance etc (I.e. You crash or get caught speeding on work time it affects your personal premium).

It never crossed my mind when I started driving for the firm I'm at. Just happy enough to be able to make us more efficient. Then again I suppose indirectly my money went up because of that.

Plus nobody wants a team leader who can't drive the vans!

I've always drove ever since I passed my test, i prefer it instead of being sat on some other blokes knee in the van!

Colleges pump out countless young men (and women) for whom this work is seen as a glamorous lifestyle choice. As long a there is a glut of these people willing to work for the same money I was working for 20 years ago wages will be low.

Mick,

I don't know you from Adam, but we speak from the same page

Colleges pump out countless young men (and women) for whom this work is seen as a glamorous lifestyle choice. As long a there is a glut of these people willing to work for the same money I was working for 20 years ago wages will be low.

They can work for as little as they like Mick but they can never compete with efficiency, some of these ill equipped guys are are out there for two or three days doing tree work that others here could smash out in a morning. I dont see a problem.

Bob

They can work for as little as they like Mick but they can never compete with efficiency, some of these ill equipped guys are are out there for two or three days doing tree work that others here could smash out in a morning. I dont see a problem.

Bob

Very true, that was me 6 year ago