Anyone?

woodwizzard

I personally couldn't justify the price of a alaskan as a hobbyist so being prity handy myself I made my own version of it tig welded steel tube stainless fitting and fixtures etc iv never seen a alaskan mill but I carnt emgine it being any stronger then mine and cost under £20 in parts, a pic of being made.

20160224_211748.jpg

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ATTACH]201231[/ATTACH][ATTACH]201233[/ATTACH][ATTACH]201234[/ATTACH]

Having never milled before or even seen someone do it, I bought one of these mills and gave it a go on this cherry I had. Found it harder work than I thought it would be, haven't worked out what I'll do with the boards yet.

Beautiful cherry one of my favourite woods hope you find a good use for it.

Yep - I have x100 of these in now and will be listing on ebay shortly.

I'd rather people bought one of these off us rather than them.

Bit of a dilemma though - I expect Royston will also be listing mills again soon - there is no way in the long term we can offer any sort of service punting these out at the same price that they are.

We called them a few times and asked questions about the mills - they have zero product knowledge and refer people to youtube.

But if we don't price match people will go for the cheaper option....

:001_huh::001_huh:

In some ways this mill could fill a niche for home/occasional users. It is not as well built or stong as the Alaskan but for just the odd job or to try milling it is a good economical intro mill.

It could be we sell these cheaply at first then try and improve them/rebrand them - of course they would be more expensive after that but still around half the price of the genuine article.

Anyways - hang onto your cash for a few more days - we'll get these up on ebay and see where things go!

In some ways this mill could fill a niche for home/occasional users. It is not as well built or stong as the Alaskan but for just the odd job or to try milling it is a good economical intro mill.

It could be we sell these cheaply at first then try and improve them/rebrand them - of course they would be more expensive after that but still around half the price of the genuine article.

Anyways - hang onto your cash for a few more days - we'll get these up on ebay and see where things go!

That's been the way for me, it's got me into milling at a very cheap way to see if it's something I want to do.

Now I've done a bit I will be investing in better equipment to progress.

Even though the company is local I'd rather buy from a reputation and a good service.

The original mills are brilliant. I have now been using one since 2001 when I bought mine at the APF show in Dumfriess. The build quality is really good and I hate to think how many trees I have milled in that time. My kiln is constantly running this year and my leccy direct debit has doubled to 150 a month. Not complaining as my timber bill would easily have hit 15k if I had to buy timber in. I am also getting the thickness I want which also isn't the easiest thing to buy without getting a whole tree milled at that specific thickness. It is hard work, but its rewarding hard work!

That's been the way for me, it's got me into milling at a very cheap way to see if it's something I want to do.

Now I've done a bit I will be investing in better equipment to progress.

Even though the company is local I'd rather buy from a reputation and a good service.

Good to hear - we will price match to start with - there may even be a mini price war sparked.. who knows...

Granberg are improving what is already a well designed mill to make it better so if nothing else this Chinese mill has stimulated some needed R&D work.

:)

Fit a winch to your mill Andymacp . Used my mill the other week after fitting the winch after a year doing it the hard way and just can't believe how much easier it makes the job and it was on a 3.5ft Oak. Happy milling.