tadcaster bridge collapsed

Johny Walker

I can only go on what I know, there as only been one big dredging job (non costal) in East Anglia in 2015, (East Anglia) covers a bloody big area.

Can you provide a link to big dredging jobs (on the inland waterways) that have been granted to land owners in 2015?

I think you need to re-read my post, see below.

They are the ones who prevent it, they stop landowners from dredging their own stretches of river :thumbdown:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not an upland overgrazing /lack of veg factor that is a major contributor to these floods; according to Private Eye

"sheep farming was a economically fragile... then Foot & Mouth destroyed sheep numbers in 2001. The local breeds of sheep best suited to these harsh conditions were slaughtered in such numbers that not enough replacements could be found to restock from Cumbria's farms.

This led to other problems, the traditional 'hefting' system (same flocks kept on farms for generations and trained to stay on the farm without fencing) was distrupted.

Where grazing was reduced... veg grew that the sheep were reluctant to graze..., whole areas of fell quickly were lost to grazing. The tending of sheep became more difficult and English upland farmers (Av age 62) report it harder to walk safely across their land."

I am used to Private Eye reporting things before other media, but why has no-one else added this to the debate?

In one of our fields, we have quite a large 'main' kind of ditch that runs through it.

It now CANNOT cope with the extra surface run off from a new housing estate that decided to 'add in' a pipe to it from their capture tanks further up! :mad1:

We'll be expecting an answer of 'so what' when we inform them of the new problem...

When will the idiots in charge accept that dredging is at least part of the solution to these problems, its just common sense, if the gap under the bridge is reduced by silt the volume of water that can pass under is by definition reduced.

Whilst driving up through the south Wales valley, my wife and i were discussing why there was so little evidence of flooding, given how much rain we have had. But when you see how many trees there are on the valley sides........

It's not the EA that make the rules. They are following a European Directive.

Europe says no dredging, the EA in turn dance to Europes tune.

Sad but true.

I did not say they made the rules, I simply pointed out that not only do the EA do little dredging, they also prevent private agents from dredging.

I live about 5 miles up stream of tadcaster the bridge has been taking a battering lately with the water level so high and all the debris floating down (full trees) and forced under the bridge,

years ago they used to dredge the river for sand and gravel there used to be a island just below the bridge but after a flood they removed it (about 40 years ago) in the village the other side of the river to me the farm house got water in it, first time since 1947 Johny I hope your yard is ok

I live about 5 miles up stream of tadcaster the bridge has been taking a battering lately with the water level so high and all the debris floating down (full trees) and forced under the bridge,

years ago they used to dredge the river for sand and gravel there used to be a island just below the bridge but after a flood they removed it (about 40 years ago) in the village the other side of the river to me the farm house got water in it, first time since 1947 Johny I hope your yard is ok

so do i been away over xmas ,so best pop down tmro to check if its still there :001_huh:

For me its because non of the basics are done anymore.

Council not clearing the gullies

Farmers not clearing the ditches and drains that run around their fields (for whatever reason)

Building on flood planes

None or little dredging on rivers

The removal of natural defences

Its ok to build big flood defences, but surely lets get back to basics first. Not having a go at anyone, just my thoughts.