Ideas

Bird

He didn't say they were. Often there's a choice involved though...e.g long hours, stress vs family time, leisure time.

I don't see it like that, building a business and improving your earnings can be more fulfilling than becoming "life rich" whatever that is.

It's too cliched to say "oh he works hard, he must be unhappy and stressed"

Or "look at him playing football in the back garden with his kid how life rich he must be"

Lazy stereotyping.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see it like that, building a business and improving your earnings can be more fulfilling than becoming "life rich" whatever that is.

It's too cliched to say "oh he works hard, he must be unhappy and stressed"

Or "look at him playing football in the back garden with his kid how life rich he must be"

Lazy stereotyping.

Once again, that wasn't what was posted! If you don't understand the concept, don't knock it!

I work 8-4:30 at my fathers business doing gardening and general maintenance and that's Monday to Friday! On weekends I have 2-3 gardens I maintain and do them so they are ticking over nicely! I sell a bit of firewood but not had huge numbers of people for it yet due me not advertising a great deal.

I'm wanting to make more money and ideas??

I work hard and try hard but feel I should be getting a lot more for the effort I put in, granted I'm only 23 but I still feel I should be doing better than I am!!

Day work is the killer, often just a living wage with no profit. Knock your dads daywork back slowly which will keep him happy and replace it with your own priced work. You should be seeing a difference if you did four days for your dad and three of your own work , and on..............

Bob

You will never be rich working for someone else, you will never be that rich doin tree work! you will be better off financially providing you put the work in, my life has revolved around work the last 5 years but ive built the business up and up. work is there if your good enough to get it. be under no illusion that working for yourself is easy its bloody hard work, i had loads of people trying to put me off and no end of arguments with our lass but im 32 got all my own tackle mortgage almost paid off, save up make the jump dont look back :thumbup1:

Day work is the killer, often just a living wage with no profit. Knock your dads daywork back slowly which will keep him happy and replace it with your own priced work. You should be seeing a difference if you did four days for your dad and three of your own work , and on..............

Bob

What he said

The trick is to have a skill, kit or a product that your average householder will pay for because they cannot do it themselves. Same goes if you are employed. I have had my share of being self employed and great most of the time. Down side can be lack of work, cash flow and chasing unpaid accounts, especially when you start. Having a customer going bankrupt can hurt when they own you a lot of money, but it's a risk you take.

I made a choice 20 years ago with working up to retirement age in mind. I am employed now and I earn a good living because I have a skill that my employer will pay

a premium for. You can succeed either way.

Very interesting thread for me this. I'm 25, got a 4 year old boy, mortgage, lass, car, bills etc. etc. to pay for and also thinking about setting up on my own. However, I currently work for a company and get paid a very decent wage that, combined with our lasses wage, gives us a fair amount of spending money each!

The main problem I face is getting a good client base to keep the money coming in. Ive gradually bought the tools and im also saving up for courses (woodchipper, climbing) to add to my CV. Hopefully all this will help but still doesn't guarantee a successful business! My main point is at this stage of my life I need to make a choice weather to take a risk and set up on my own or stay working where I am and see if I can advance further there!?