Call from the council

Andymacp

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a call today from the council advising me not to sell my firewood by the m3.

Obviously I asked what I should sell it by and they said it should be large/medium/small bags.

She said weights and measures act doesn't cover firewood so I don't have to say.

Lol so what do jewsons sell their rubble and sand in. Surely if someone asks for a m3 bag of logs they know what to expect. But big, med or small can be any size.

If the act doesn't cover firewood then surely it wouldn't cover any materials, maybe try and sell under a different name (dry bits of tree in triangular form).

Sound like someone has to much time on there hands.

Lol so what do jewsons sell their rubble and sand in. Surely if someone asks for a m3 bag of logs they know what to expect. But big, med or small can be any size.

If the act doesn't cover firewood then surely it wouldn't cover any materials, maybe try and sell under a different name (dry bits of tree in triangular form).

Sound like someone has to much time on there hands.

Most fbic bulk bags used for sand gravel etc are 85x85x85cm 90x90x90cm therefore neither are 1m3 there are bags out there that are 1m3 and larger !

When you buy a bulk bag of building materials it's usually stated that its contents are minimum 850kgs !

Call the Council back and ask which section or section of the Weights and Measures Act they think you are in contravention of and then take a look at the Act itself.

The Act actually requires that firewood is sold by weight only - but only when a local byelaw to that effect is in place.

Cheers

mac

Ha Ha 2x2x2m is 8 cube lol.

Agreed, but the pedantic mathematicians will tell us that 2 metres cubed actually does mean 2m x 2m x 2m.

When we talk about 2 cubic mtrs that is clear, but when it is written down as

2M3 it can get ambiguous.

I'll get my coat.

Most fbic bulk bags used for sand gravel etc are 85x85x85cm 90x90x90cm therefore neither are 1m3 there are bags out there that are 1m3 and larger !

When you buy a bulk bag of building materials it's usually stated that its contents are minimum 850kgs !

Ahh fair enough. Now I know.

On a different note, are you not allowed to sell say a 'flat bed full' of logs? If so what is the difference in that compared to a meter cubed bag of logs?