Reasons for non payment.

Woodworks

I know two different printers.

Both did work for Indian resteraunts, the first printed a full set of menus. He waited weeks beyond his payment terms. He took his family and friends to the resteraunt and ordered a normal meal for everyone, starters, mains, sides etc. Which came to roughly the same cost as what he was owed. The bill arrived at the table, he said "oh I didn't realise I had to pay?" They asked what he meant, he said "well I thought I'd leave it as you haven't paid me for these menus that I printed". By then the manager came out all ready to deal with some troublemakers but had to climb down in front of his staff when he realised who it was. The printer duly walked out and said I'll pay you when you pay me and people started clapping!

It all ended there and nothing more came of it.

The second printer, the most well spoken man iv ever met, printed off a large pack of business cards, the guy walked into the shop to pick them up and was presented with an invoice for the agreed price. He said, "I don't think I should pay that" the printer said from behind his counter "but you stood there and agreed that price when you placed your order". The guy said "yeh, but they're no good to anybody now but me are they? I want them for ( named his paltry price ) . The printer very calmly said, " oh, in that case sir you'd better come with me" the guy was lead through to the workshop where the printer took the stack of business cards, laid them across the guillotine and chopped the lot in half! "There you go mate, nobody's having them now, now F**K OFF out of my shop! He said the guys face was a picture as he sloped off out the door.

I suppose there are many ways to get even, but whatever it is always try and make sure it won't cost you more or drop you in the brown stuff with the law and the tables are turned on you. If you have to bite down hard and take it up the sh***er then so be it, eg, write it off and move on, as long as it's only a small amount.

Having said all of that you can't go wrong with returning a few arisings in a very inconvenient place for them! ( or release the wife ):thumbup:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know plenty in this game including us which are permanently owed between £50-£80K. Its a sort of rolled over amount thats permanently outstanding, it obviously has a knock on effect but you either join in or get out. As for non payers there are three types, those that go bust, those in financial difficulties and then those that habitually knock people. The ones that go bust have to be written off ( in excess £20k last year:thumbdown:), the ones having problems are ok as long as they keep in touch and dont go quiet, then there are the knockers which go in my black book and can expect a very eventful visit before I die ( guaranteed).

Bob

👍🏻

Especially "the special visit."

It's the bar steward that knows they're going down but still call in trades even though they know they ain't going to pay that grip my whistle.

Oh damn! Maybe I'll give them 30 days, then contact them and ask how long their remittance is. And change the text on my invoices haha! I'm only a small outfit and the ones that require invoicing i have very good relationships with. When I won the quote for the Volvo job I almost got a semi in my pants as it should lead to good things, now I'm beginning to regret it if it's going to be aggro to see the money.

Having had a lot of dealing with large and international sized companies I have found that the best chance you have of getting paid quickly is to develop a good relationship with someone in the Accounts Payable department. My suggestion would be to not wait but call the company and ask to speak to Accounts Payable. Keep it extremely friendly, explain your situation and ask for their advice on how best to get paid as soon as possible. You may well find that they haven't actually received your invoice for processing in which case you should chase the person you sent it to. You would be amazed at how many invoices get delayed in big companies simply because they don't get sent on by the person it was sent to! Ultimately you might still find the resulting situation frustrating but you will have established the Company's process (and how best to work it!), someone to speak to (so you can check progress and chase!) and with a bit of luck someone who will give your invoice a push up the payment priority list! And finally, its a fact of life in the corporate world that the more you contact them, the more likely they are to respond!

Sorry that's a bit long but hope it helps!

Hooray just got paid

Seems the "letter before action" did the trick. Only posted it last night and amazingly get a call 08.30 this morning saying I would have payment today followed by a lame excuse. BACS for full amount arrived this afternoon.

Anyway thanks for the support on the thread and the PMs

Beau

Hooray just got paid

Seems the "letter before action" did the trick. Only posted it last night and amazingly get a call 08.30 this morning saying I would have payment today followed by a lame excuse. BACS for full amount arrived this afternoon.

Anyway thanks for the support on the thread and the PMs

Beau

That's great news, wish everything was that simple 😁

So do I :001_smile:

Got a tussle with HMRC on a totally different matter next and can't see them being a pushover.

Don't let them dictate. I had a tussle with them over 10/11 return. It's still not resolved. I wouldn't give in, kept all correspondence, kept reminding them of their errors and administrative ineptitude. Would get a written acknowledge of their error and an apology, then next letter they'd do it again! Record was 4 apologies for the very same error.

Went to appeal with HMRC, rejected. Went to tribunal, still waiting for a decision. HMRC rep was a clown at tribunal. I spoke for 4hrs, he spoke for 10mins. At the end the judge said thank you for being such a credible and convincing witness.

It's fingers crossed til I get the decision. It should have been a decision on the day but because I tied HMRC geek up in knots and he was so inept, they couldn't make a decision on the day. We're getting close to 3 months now though which is a bit bloody rich!

I didn't stipulate in the invoice how long they have to pay, but, rightly or wrongly, how long do I leave it until I go and book a 'test drive'

Rookie mistake.

If you have no payment terms that say when the payment is due then it can never be over due.

I am sure that there was big case where this happened.

Rookie mistake.

If you have no payment terms that say when the payment is due then it can never be over due.

I am sure that there was big case where this happened.

I find that very difficult do believe, please give some evidence for this, sounds like nonsense to me.

I know two different printers.

Both did work for Indian resteraunts, the first printed a full set of menus. He waited weeks beyond his payment terms. He took his family and friends to the resteraunt and ordered a normal meal for everyone, starters, mains, sides etc. Which came to roughly the same cost as what he was owed. The bill arrived at the table, he said "oh I didn't realise I had to pay?" They asked what he meant, he said "well I thought I'd leave it as you haven't paid me for these menus that I printed". By then the manager came out all ready to deal with some troublemakers but had to climb down in front of his staff when he realised who it was. The printer duly walked out and said I'll pay you when you pay me and people started clapping!

It all ended there and nothing more came of it.

Doesn't really solve the matter does it. The moral argument might appear to be made but it hasn't been won. The printer has spent time and money going for the meal, perhaps not particularly wanted and the money hasn't been through the business so his figures are down and so on...

Likewise the second printer; done the work, destroyed it to make a point, still down in net terms.

Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor