Up to yer nuts in it thread

aspenarb

Fixed that for you twisty :biggrin:

Had forgotten about such things as those, but with the old Jap stuff at least, if the lever is in 2wd, even with the hubs "locked" it's still in 2wd so doesn't wind up. Likewie, if the hubs are "unlocked" and the lever is in 4wd, it's still only ever going to drive one the rear axle.

Ha ha even on series motors the 2wd setting would disengage the front end I had series with drive flanges as standard none of the freewheeling hub malarkey :)

The don't break the just stop functioning as normal !!

i'm a big fan of manual free wheeling hubs. Ya just gotta plan ahead accordingly. I always drive on the road with 'em in the unlocked position so i can use 4L to shunt an overweight trailer about without straining the clutch and transmission. If the going looks sticky/muddy i 'Lock' them and engage 4H or 4L.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah winched it with landrover (doubled up with snatch block and through blackthorn hedge!!) Pulled mower out first as it was just an anchor then pulled front end of tractor round and it sort of climbed out with a bit of help.

Headland was just a bit too greasy for landrover. Up hill and side slope and if that went in it was going to be tirfor time

This bridleway has claimed many a mower over the years!

Got landrover in to winch out it then had to use other tractor as an anchor to winch landy up headland.

We get about three months of this ride swiping a year, I have set up a side shunt flail mower that cuts about two feet outside of the wheel one side of the tractor. No more falling into the ditch, AJ gets into a tiz when this happens :) Its an old nuffield, no glass or cab, just a tin lid ,its 100% vandal/ leave it in the woods between jobs proof. Quite important with kids about this time of the year:thumbdown:

image.jpg1_zps5acc6lri.jpg

Ram shunts mower about 2 feet, its also beefy enough to cope with the odd hidden stump

image.jpg2_zpspqxmvtrc.jpg

Wor SDP Van, with proper Austrian designed 4WD, allows one to shift "on the fly" between Hi and Lo and 2 and 4WD.

Like a hot knife through butter.

Obviously sympathic drivers make the selection fractionally before it is needed, before the wheels lose traction, with an eye on engine revs.

EFFORTLESS

MAGIC.