Oil leak on my Landrover 130

GJT

This is not a dig as I'm currently building a 110 tipper but why do landrovers have shite oil holding capabilities? It's a disgrace that they can't use seals that work, I could park my 17 year old hilux over a wedding dress and come back days later knowing it would be fine, it's still on the factory seals!! Do landrover use inferior rubber/ material for there gaskets and seals. Genuinely interested.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is not a dig as I'm currently building a 110 tipper but why do landrovers have shite oil holding capabilities? It's a disgrace that they can't use seals that work, I could park my 17 year old hilux over a wedding dress and come back days later knowing it would be fine, it's still on the factory seals!! Do landrover use inferior rubber/ material for there gaskets and seals. Genuinely interested.

Good question, I've a 98 transit which has never leaked oil from the gbox or rear diff, and has never had the oil changed in either, yet my 130 leaked from every possible place and I had to change the oil from time to time in both diffs and the transfer box and gearbox.

... from a photograph it's hard to make a correct diagnosis...

Actually to anyone with the slightest mechanical nouse and any experience of Puma Defenders, it is completely easy to make a 100% confident preliminary diagnosis from the OP.

Fact 1 - the photo shows the drain hole at the bottom of the bellhousing.

Fact 2 - there's summat leaking out

Conclusion 1 - there's free fluid in the bellhousing which shouldn't be there.

Conclusion 2 - something is leaking into the bellhousing.

Question - What fluid-filled systems have exposure to the bellhousing?

Answer - (a) the engine lubrication system via the rear crankshaft oil seal, (b) the gearbox lubrication system via the primary pinion shaft oil seal, and © the clutch operating system via the slave cylinder.

It's not been difficult to get this far.

It is unlikely to be the gearbox since the Getrag MFT MT82 box doesn't usually leak, certainly not forwards into the clutch. The rear main oil seal is well-known for leaking on the 2.4 TDCi so is a major suspect, the clutch slave cylinder is pretty good if genuine, pretty bad if pattern, but generally clutch actuation problems will occur, and fluid loss generally leads to pretty rapid loss of clutch, which the OP hasn't complained about. So, most likely candidate is the crankshaft rear main oil seal.

(Incidentally had it been a TD5 a major suspect would be the fuel pressure regulator, which is well known for leaking into the clutch, but this is a TD5 feature only).

So next question for OP, can it be confirmed that it is sump oil leaking out? Answer (see above) yes. Hence leak confirmed as crankshaft seal.

Next question - does it matter, and does it warrant an immediate engine-out or gearbox-out repair?

This is more subjective, hence my suggestion that if the leak is minor (as described by the OP) and not causing any major problem, leave it until the box next has to come out.

So, with respect, I have to say that I think your comment "from a photograph it's hard to make a correct diagnosis" was a little hasty! :lol:

Actually to anyone with the slightest mechanical nouse and any experience of Puma Defenders, it is completely easy to make a 100% confident preliminary diagnosis from the OP.

Answer - (a) the engine lubrication system via the rear crankshaft oil seal, (b) the gearbox lubrication system via the primary pinion shaft oil seal, and © the clutch operating system via the slave cylinder.

It is unlikely to be the gearbox since the Getrag MFT MT82 box doesn't usually leak, certainly not forwards into the clutch. The rear main oil seal is well-known for leaking on the 2.4 TDCi so is a major suspect, the clutch slave cylinder is pretty good if genuine, pretty bad if pattern, but generally clutch actuation problems will occur, and fluid loss generally leads to pretty rapid loss of clutch, which the OP hasn't complained about. So, most likely candidate is the crankshaft rear main oil seal.

(Incidentally had it been a TD5 a major suspect would be the fuel pressure regulator, which is well known for leaking into the clutch, but this is a TD5 feature only).

So next question for OP, can it be confirmed that it is sump oil leaking out? Answer (see above) yes. Hence leak confirmed as crankshaft seal.

Next question - does it matter, and does it warrant an immediate engine-out or gearbox-out repair?

This is more subjective, hence my suggestion that if the leak is minor (as described by the OP) and not causing any major problem, leave it until the box next has to come out.

So, with respect, I have to say that I think your comment "from a photograph it's hard to make a correct diagnosis" was a little hasty! :lol:

Unless your a clever sod like you😜

Unless your a clever sod like you😜

Yipee, that makes me a clever sod as well, (my first post), it's not often I get a compliment like that Hodge,and there's a lot who would disagree with you on it, but let's not let that spoil my moment of glory and pride.:thumbup::biggrin:

I concur..... My 300 tdci was leaking lightly from the crankshaft into the bell housing, not a huge issue so I said it will be fine apart from the mess..... Got a threaded to push fit air fitting added a length of suitable pipe, plugged the end and hey presto no Landrover territory marking 👌..... So clutch calves..... Then do the repair. In the mean time drain the pipeline overnight once in a while ......

Totally agree on Landrover seals, but I'm not having that a Hi Lux could even drive onto a Wedding Dress, let alone get itself off!:thumb up:

Eddie.

So no one knows why they are shite at holding oil? I assume as landrover owners you just all bend over and constantly buy products that are hardly fit for purpose, seals and gaskets that work for a few months and that's acceptable? You all just put up with it like abused spouses :biggrin:

As I said in my first post I'm building a 110 tipper so looks like I will just have to get use to the idea they pish out oil. Pretty disappointed as I thought there would have been someone that knew better aftermarket seals as I'm reconditioning the engine so would have happily used then.