Wages fair pay

padg

I feel that the price the customer pays for work is quite high for many jobs , unfortunately it is the high operating costs ( fuel , insurances , machinery , training etc etc ) that take so much of income that insufficient funds are left for a good wage ..and as long as the industry keeps attracting new staff then market forces seem about right ( although we would all like a bit more ... obviously !!)..

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's face it fellas, if you want to earn good money here in the UK, get yourself out of the tree game...and into something more lucrative. Yes, you can earn doing Treework...but you an a lot more doing a lot less in many other trades and your not so much at the mercy of the up and down British economy.

Let's face it fellas, if you want to earn good money here in the UK, get yourself out of the tree game...and into something more lucrative. Yes, you can earn doing Treework...but you an a lot more doing a lot less in many other trades and your not so much at the mercy of the up and down British economy.

You could be right. Personally I've always been envious of trades with minimal kit. I mean as an arborist you have a 3.5/7.5t+ tipper, chipper, several chainsaws, PPE, climbing kit, rigging kit and so on - easily £30k worth of kit everyday you head out. A plasterer can get away with a compact van and a hundred quid worth of kit. Plus easy to work from your home where as even the smallest arb set up needs a yard somewhere.

You could be right. Personally I've always been envious of trades with minimal kit. I mean as an arborist you have a 3.5/7.5t+ tipper, chipper, several chainsaws, PPE, climbing kit, rigging kit and so on - easily £30k worth of kit everyday you head out. A plasterer can get away with a compact van and a hundred quid worth of kit. Plus easy to work from your home where as even the smallest arb set up needs a yard somewhere.

Some climbers work out of the boot of a car and charge £250 a day. No truck chipper or yard just the climbing gear and a saws. Its only as complicated as you want it to be.

Bob

Some climbers work out of the boot of a car and charge £250 a day. No truck chipper or yard just the climbing gear and a saws. Its only as complicated as you want it to be.

Bob

Do they get 5 days a week, 50 weeks of the year work though? Plasterers I know do.

£250 a day?! Bloody hell!

Still, when you consider that a climber turns up with a grand (minimum) worth of kit, tickets costing in excess of 2k, a trade learnt over years of experience, and performs a highly skilled job which can be quite hazardous, damn right, we should be on more than a plasterers day rate!