Sharpening your own chipper blades

simonm

Vid of my old clunker doing some blades for a mate, these took less than two minutes. Its got an adjustable sweep of up to a meter so you can line up about six sets of the timberwolf blades at a time if you want.

You have to click on image.

th_IMG_0246_zpslngmplgi.mp4

Bob

That looks bang on.

Am I right in thinking that on a lot of chippers the tolerance in weight is quite important between blades on the same flywheel? On that basis I run three sets for my cs100 which are double sided blades and get them done by rota tech (Saturn machine) as if they make a mess of it and any fault in sharpening ruins the bearings then their insurance buys me a new chipper or repairs the current food blender. I am about to get a quadchip 160 and the blades for those are more expensive to sharpen so if I'm wrong and doing it myself is easy then I could save a few quid.

Am I right in thinking that on a lot of chippers the tolerance in weight is quite important between blades on the same flywheel? On that basis I run three sets for my cs100 which are double sided blades and get them done by rota tech (Saturn machine) as if they make a mess of it and any fault in sharpening ruins the bearings then their insurance buys me a new chipper or repairs the current food blender. I am about to get a quadchip 160 and the blades for those are more expensive to sharpen so if I'm wrong and doing it myself is easy then I could save a few quid.

I would doubt very much you'll get any payout on insurance.

If you're worried about the cost of sharpening blades, put your prices up.

been searching there for sometime im a little stuck with the power to most of these . only have single phase in the workshop

not used one, but does this converter box allow use of say a full size 3 phase milling machine or lathe from a single phase supply?

TECO EV 3HP 240V Single to 3 Phase Inverter Converter for Lathe Mill Drill SAW | eBay

Not sure if it is a simple as that, probably not

not used one, but does this converter box allow use of say a full size 3 phase milling machine or lathe from a single phase supply?

TECO EV 3HP 240V Single to 3 Phase Inverter Converter for Lathe Mill Drill SAW | eBay

you can run 3 phase motors of single phase by connecting a large capacitor across one phase as long as there isn't too much load at start up

Have you weigthed your blades yet? To my surprise mine where new out of balance approx 30gramms.

I doubt that a slight inbalance will harm your bearings.

Imagine the unbalanced load, when one side of the drum hits a 4" piece of maple and thaz a few times per second.

Beside, stump grinders share similar bearings, you got lots of shock loads or inbalance from dirt and wood sticking in some teeth, but lowers rpms.

So as long as you dont mix old blades with brand new, I doubt you stress your bearings much because of slight sharpenig differences.

My father is or until he retired last month a precision engineer. In the old days he used to machine the calipers you measure things with and made precision military components from tungsten carbide.

He sharpens my blades on a milling machine, and as long as the blades are kept in there pairs no issues. Don't be tempted to remove any major Nick's in the blades as other wise you need to grind the pair down equally, loosing several regrinds.

I have been shown how to do it and I am bit blonde and its pretty easy :)

Yes - an inverter will permit the full use of three phase machinery as long as the 3ph motor can be wired in Delta(most can - connection info usually underneath the connection box lid). The motor then runs in 220-240v 3 ph rather than 415-440v 3ph.

These inverters are brilliant - you can get a soft start, seamless speed control from 0rpm to (usually) twice the original max speed, easy reverse etc. etc.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Tormek whetstone. You can get them from Axminster tools and they do a cheaper one from Jet, that I think takes the same jigs. I bought it for doing engineering drill bits and it tackles full re-profiling and sharpening of 1in drills without complaint. It should be fine for doing the knives on my old TP150 when they need doing. Alternatively, why not buy a second set of knives and just post them to the guy with the grinder.

JDS