How much to fit a flu liner

Will Heal

chances are that if it was fitted to a boiler it will be the wrong grade of liner probably single wall flexi ,this is not suitable for solid fuel, twin wall flexi liner either 316 or 904 is what you need as this is rated upto 650 degrees

Yes 904, 904 twinwall is what you need for multifuels, 316 is just for gas. You need to install the liner and have a CO monitor now, it's part J of the building regulations and yes you do need a certificate and a plate to show the flue has been installed correctly,

HETAS registered installers can self certify this or you pay building control to pass it. HETAS installers cannot certify work done by others.

Also make sure a 6" (150mm) as even with a nominal 9" flue it can be a problem getting round corners. It's only the smallest burners (<5kW I think) that can use 125mm flexi pipe.

Also it's directional so make sure it's the right way up and only feed it down from above.

Alcydion will be along to quote the regs.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really understand how your house can burn down due to a badly fitted liner particularly in an old house such as mine that worked fine for years with no liner at all.

This "competent person" stuff is a real ripoff. I've heard of plenty of these folks with certificates making a right balls of the job.

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1444199941.679584.jpg.b8102c05967bc9e9d0de8bd12877ac57.jpg

So I've cut the hole in the existing flue waiting for the builder to come and knock out the internals (I wanted him to say if they were weight baring)

Just to be sure this is twin wall flue are we saying it's not the correct grade?!?

I don't really understand how your house can burn down due to a badly fitted liner particularly in an old house such as mine that worked fine for years with no liner at all.

This "competent person" stuff is a real ripoff. I've heard of plenty of these folks with certificates making a right balls of the job.

Seconded. If it's your own home, and older than a few decades, why mention it at all? If the house burns down, and they question it, just say you don't know anything bout it, the previous owner must have installed it , it was always there etc.

House unlikely to burn down with a properly installed flu liner anyway, less creosote buildup, easy to sweep etc.

Yes 904, 904 twinwall is what you need for multifuels, 316 is just for gas.

Are you sure about this? 316 is still being offered by the trade for wood and multifuel installs.

Another thing to bear in mind is that a good quality, thicker 316 SS liner is going to last much longer than a cheap, poor quality 904 liner.

It's to do with the flue gases from a stove being hotter than from an open fire, it lessens the risk of combustion gases seeping through cracked brickwork and hot combustion gases seeping through cracked brickwork and setting fire to roof timbers. The job can be done with other types of liner or indeed if the chimney is inspected it can be used as is.

The proper sized liner keeps the flue gases moving and if it is insulated prevents tarry water condensing on the brickwork and rotting the mortar or pargetting.

I agree, it has turned into as bad a restrictive practice as the guilds of old and spawned it's own parasitic industry of paper pushers.

These things seem to go in cycles of tens of years

Agreed. Had my chimney swept this year by a different person to my usual chap, and he's left me a certificate saying it's dangerous! Apparently the flue is too close to the mantelpiece (it is, but it's been there for at least 10 years with no problems) and the stove shouldn't be used as it's a boiler stove with a dry boiler (sand filled). Apparently the boiler area can corrode and fumes can leak out. But i've got a CO detector, and it's been fine for over 10 years! I think the regulations changed in 2010, after it was all installed. But it's odd that my normal sweep has swept it happily for years, taken his money and never mentioned any of these "problems"!