You are not Reg Coates!

stihlmadasever

That's an odd title for a thread !

I think you just have to do your best with every situation. Get paid and go home in one piece. Not every job requires finesse, just control. Control is the key....but that comes only with experience. If you're just pruning fruit trees most days your probably not the best candidate to go rig out a big dead tree.

And, you can't really compare yourself to someone else unless you've truly walked in their shoes. Who knows if you'd fair better or worse.

I don't think its so much physical limitations, more mental ones. At least, that's been my experience...and I've been around. I've had to will myself through countless sketchy situations, and still do regularly....while other climbers sit on the sidelines. I don't know who's smarter, them or me. I think them.

Knowing your limitations, or experience in a given situation is something you can't afford to lose sight of. Never just take a chance if you feel like you're in over your head.

Probably I've gone a bit off topic, but to me working safe is more important than trying to be fast or fancy or whatever.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you just have to do your best with every situation. Get paid and go home in one piece. Not every job requires finesse, just control. Control is the key....but that comes only with experience. If you're just pruning fruit trees most days your probably not the best candidate to go rig out a big dead tree.

And, you can't really compare yourself to someone else unless you've truly walked in their shoes. Who knows if you'd fair better or worse.

I don't think its so much physical limitations, more mental ones. At least, that's been my experience...and I've been around. I've had to will myself through countless sketchy situations, and still do regularly....while other climbers sit on the sidelines. I don't know who's smarter, them or me. I think them.

Knowing your limitations, or experience in a given situation is something you can't afford to lose sight of. Never just take a chance if you feel like you're in over your head.

Probably I've gone a bit off topic, but to me working safe is more important than trying to be fast or fancy or whatever.

Its always good to aspire to be better and to inspire others.

Cheers reg

I think you needed the "You are Reg Coates" thread rather than this one.

I chickened out today after seeing a Silver Birch with a very weak looking union fairly high up and about 20 ft more of tree above it. Decided the tree wasn't worth climbing and risking it and decided with the client to fell it. Stunt fell coming up! Over the top of a brick built BBQ protected with pallets too. Never a dull moment but got home in once piece :-)

I chickened out today after seeing a Silver Birch with a very weak looking union fairly high up and about 20 ft more of tree above it. Decided the tree wasn't worth climbing and risking it and decided with the client to fell it. Stunt fell coming up! Over the top of a brick built BBQ protected with pallets too. Never a dull moment but got home in once piece :-)

Client happy and everyone home safe-good day..dull moments are for the other guys

I certainly know EXACTLY where your coming from with your inspiration for this thread I had the pleasure of a few days working with a certain Mr Bullman, yes I got my ass handed to me but I also learnt a few things and I'd say that's worth a few spoonfuls of humble pie.

I certainly know EXACTLY where your coming from with your inspiration for this thread I had the pleasure of a few days working with a certain Mr Bullman, yes I got my ass handed to me but I also learnt a few things and I'd say that's worth a few spoonfuls of humble pie.

I've heard he waxes his chest, is this true?