Landrover 110 Hi Cap Landrover pick up required and any tips to lookf or when buying

Leyburn Lad

Footwells are a favourite to go, had to do mine as if I'd ever got a nervous passenger pushing the brakes for me they'd have been doing a Fred flintstone impression, also check the mounting brackets for the rear tub itself as I've seen 1 stacked up with hay bales go round a corner and snap clean of the rest of the truck, nearly flipped the landy and blocked the road for nearly an hr while we helped the very shaken old farmer sort it out, bolts had rusted to nowt from years of sheep pissing in the back.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 54 plate hi cap tipper for sale, it has about 140,000 miles on it but it has been serviced regularly and had a lot of the common issues fixed. Injector seals, transfer box, alternator, starter motor, etc it has a KMR chip box with fold out lights and a cover. Oh and a hydraulic winch with auxiliary take off. It is a good and useful vehicle. My old yard was off road and so I needed a LR I now have a yard with concrete hard standing so am getting a Mitsi 3.5 ton tipper. You either need a LR and have one or you don't. That is my reason for selling. PM me for more details, if interested

Cheers Jon, can spend a bit more but the bloody thing will only get used maybe once twice a week for the chipper. try to get as much as possible cut on lines with the small van where its to be stacked on site etc. I have seen one over in preston that looked half decent. Is TD5 the better engine? bearing in mind I'm a japcrap man

Think I've just bought the one in Preston. Was I up at 6995 on ebay ny any chance. They are out there at the price you want. Check chassis condition. Oil in the ecu loom if td5. Smoke etc. Also check the back if buying a hicap. Dented badly probably means it has had a hard life. Look after them and they are reliable. My current tipper is 20years old and worked hard everyday I notice problems and deal with them. That said the hicap is to become the new tipper

• 2 months later...

Some might suggest you look for one with a Toyota badge on it.

The most expensive/painful things to put right are

Rotting chassis, rotting rear cross member, rotting bulkhead.

Other things to look for - lots of play in gearbox/transfer box/diffs.

Leaky steering (including swivel pins on chrome spheres).

Big impressive tyres with crack in the sidewalls.

The list is endless nut if all the above is OK and it drives well and has a lot of MOT it might be worth cosidering.

Come to think of it, why do any of us have them?

Cos they are sometimes brilliant at what they do.