Shrapnel wound while splitting with maul.

pyro_John

Wednesday afternoon splitting some rounds, pounded stuck maul with sledgehammer, fragment of metal from maul hit me in the thigh. Profuse bleeding but the wound looked clean. Called GP and practice nurse glued the wound back together with superglue. So far so good. Was wearing trousers when it happened and Thursday morning (after laundering blood out) realised there was a cut in the trousers. Leg felt even more sore and couldn't straighten it.

All day at Chichester A&E Thursday, X-rays showed metal fragment embedded about 5 cm deep in thigh muscle - as deep as the bone but to one side. Was supposed to be having surgery to remove it Thursday evening, gowned up ready for op when they cancelled it due to a priority broken hip which had arrived.

Saw consultant Friday morning and decided now to leave it alone as incision would have been 6cm or so and I'd have been nobbled for a few weeks recovering. Old soldiers with embedded shrapnel?

Other than wearing armour I don't know how to stop it from happening again. Anyone know of similar accident or is this a one off?

Splitters beware.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought the 3.5kg maul and 4kg sledge new about 15-16 years ago from a French supermarket. There have been a few flakes pop off before so it was getting a bit raggedy on the corners. I'll only use it for splitting (as in swinging it) now, not also as a wedge once it's embedded in the wood.

Assuming input energy of 10 m/s for 4kg sledge propelling 4g flake of metal with 10% of kinetic energy transferred to flake would result in flake speed of 100m/s (about 330ft/sec) which is a bit over half of 12 foot pound 22 air gun pellet muzzle velocity (605ft/sec or so). To go in so deep may have been going above 100m/s.

I've an old Hakki Pilke 1X but couldn't be bothered to get it out for half an hour before tea. Also the wood was poplar rounds and it was splitting dead easy - and I was enjoying it - not worth getting the tractor out for. Just had this one bit with a small knot it it ....

Edited by pyro_John
later posts