First chainsaw

Plwm

There's always one! Do you suppose electricians suggest you do an electrical course if you change a light fitting or a plug socket?

All the videos on how to sharpen a chain, dress a bar and fell a tree are online. You need to learn a normal felling cut, and I'd reccomend the Danish pie felling cut, as it eliminates the two you'd learn on a cs31 course. Obviously wear chainsaw trousers and boots and a helmet, keep the saw clean... Blah blah blah, the usual crap! Buy a felling lever and a high-lift wedge, these are damn useful! Oh, and run GOOD 2-stroke oil (jaso fd), the Stihl blue stuff or aspen, ignore what the dealer suggests, even the Stihl red stuff!

Ah it pisses me off, EVERY thread like this was the same at one point, homeowners ask what saw, answers are cs30/31 course, and a pro saw, then advice on buying a larger saw! I'm waiting for the 550, 560, 372xp's suggestions followed by the ms461 and 661...

Oh, final bit of advice for the OP, which ever small, cheap, light chainsaw you buy, don't bother with a 'tool-less chain tensioner' they're a silly gimmick, and snap as soon as you look at them, get a bog standard one and check your nuts :lol:

Agreed, they all cut wood & tool less tensioners are complete crap

Now, how about a 395?:biggrin:

N

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah it pisses me off, EVERY thread like this was the same at one point, homeowners ask what saw, answers are cs30/31 course, and a pro saw, then advice on buying a larger saw! I'm waiting for the 550, 560, 372xp's suggestions followed by the ms461 and 661...

Oh, final bit of advice for the OP, which ever small, cheap, light chainsaw you buy, don't bother with a 'tool-less chain tensioner' they're a silly gimmick, and snap as soon as you look at them, get a bog standard one and check your nuts :lol:

Lol. Too right.

We need to keep it real round these parts. :thumbup1:

I realise the forum is designed for professionals, but when a self confessed amateur like me wants advice, the advice should reflect their circumstances, needs and budget.

Example:

B & Q: "yeah mate these McFly chainsaws, or McCulloch whetevvs is wicked mate. Yep they like the top of the range of what like chainsaws is makin like, proper good for like tree cuttin and stuff, yeah."

Arbtalk: "spend the extra £1400 and get a 60cc pro saw from a local dealer along with the relevant tickets and an account with you local Aspen dealer. Your lungs will thank you. Get booked on a climbing course a.s.a.p and don't forget the Haix boots. Haix for Heroes. :thumbup1:"

New Arbtalker: "I'll stick to my electric Makita chainsaw thanks" :confused1:

I bought a Husqvarna 135 before I started reading arbtalk and I don't have any problems starting it. I bought a splined driver and adjusted the carburetor after it has between run for a while and had no problem starting from cold or when hot. For under £200 I am pleased with it but if I had been on here before I bought it I would probably have spent more and got something I didn't really need just to cut firewood. I have since repaired my old Dynamac so could probably say I didn't really need to buy the husky but what fun would that have been . Buy something you can afford and get on with the job.

What carb adjustment did you make? Is it a common thing?

I richened the L screw up which slows the tick over a bit and then speeded the tick over up and it's good now. I have heard a few say the 135 is hard to start and mine was a bit hit or miss till I adjusted it.

Oh eddy my hero God this is an Arb forum not a homeowners tool centre why don't you go work in b&q you'd be top notch.

Oh eddy my hero God this is an Arb forum not a homeowners tool centre why don't you go work in b&q you'd be top notch.

The OP is asking for advice to SUIT HIS NEEDS, this is a chainsaw forum btw, how many 'arbs' can repair equipment or modify them to the level that spud can? There's also a homeowner forum, log burning, milling and competitive climbing forum.

The OP is not a professional, therefore doesn't require professional courses or equipment.

Do you agree that with a quick pro saw in inexperienced hands any mistake could have devastating results. A smaller slower less powerful saw would be more controllable and safer for a novice operator.