First chainsaw

Plwm

Cheapest I can find the Dolmar is £288 from German eBay. Put a link up to the £260 deal if you can find it. It's nearer £400 most places in UK. £334 +£15 delivery [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dolmar-PS-420-SC-33cm-325/dp/B002WSAZ4Y]Dolmar PS-420 SC 33cm .325": Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41vKwUPTjDL.@@AMEPARAM@@41vKwUPTjDL[/ame].

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi and welcome. My dad runs a little husqy 135 on the type of stuff you have, and its a cracking little saw.

However

I'm with the dolmar crew on here. I have a little ps3500 (bought from shavey on here) and that too is a little cracker, or like others have said, you could go for the 4200 instead. Both are more than capable for what you want.

cheers.

Cheapest I can find the Dolmar is £288 from German eBay. Put a link up to the £260 deal if you can find it. It's nearer £400 most places in UK. £334 +£15 delivery Dolmar PS-420 SC 33cm .325": Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools.

Agreed, I think these go for a lot more than stated.

The list price on my makita was nearly £700 ages ago.:001_rolleyes:

Did I read that correctly? :w00t:

Joe Newton bought and used a Stihl?..?.?:laugh1:

Back on topic..

Neil where are you located, I have a number of saws you are welcome to try. I'd even consider selling one if you're local. :001_smile:

P.S. Joe, no the MS391 isn't for sale. :thumbup1:

I'm not biased at all mate. There are a few Stihl saws that I reckon are better than their orange counterparts.

I prefer the 211 over the 135. I've found the Husqy to be a pig to start and the bar that comes with it is crap. Power wise they're about the same regardless of the higher displacement on the 135

Cheapest I can find the Dolmar is £288 from German eBay. Put a link up to the £260 deal if you can find it. It's nearer £400 most places in UK. £334 +£15 delivery Dolmar PS-420 SC 33cm .325": Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools.

Hi

[ame=http://www.amazon.de/Dolmar-700420012-Benzin-Motors%C3%A4ge-PS-420SC-38cm/dp/B0014E6RT4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441822838&sr=8-1&keywords=Dolmar+420]Dolmar 700420012 Benzin-Motorsäge PS-420SC 38cm, 2,2 kW, 42,4ccm: Amazon.de: Baumarkt@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Eo1udyPRL.@@AMEPARAM@@41Eo1udyPRL[/ame]

349 euros = £258.51 @ a rate of 1.35 / £ + delivery

seriously considering changing my MS250 for one of these

Edit - most small saws can be pigs to start, they have small carburettors easily flooded with too much choke.

N

Edited by NFG

Put your hand in your pocket go for a ms261 or the like. More robust professional saw that if looked after will last a lifetime with light use.

I'd recommend getting your self on the 30/31 Nptc. Course. This will teach you the basics and show you how to maintain the saw.

It maybe more expense but you will enjoy it and appreciate your own skills whilst working.

There's always one! Do you suppose electricians suggest you do an electrical course if you change a light fitting or a plug socket?

All the videos on how to sharpen a chain, dress a bar and fell a tree are online. You need to learn a normal felling cut, and I'd reccomend the Danish pie felling cut, as it eliminates the two you'd learn on a cs31 course. Obviously wear chainsaw trousers and boots and a helmet, keep the saw clean... Blah blah blah, the usual crap! Buy a felling lever and a high-lift wedge, these are damn useful! Oh, and run GOOD 2-stroke oil (jaso fd), the Stihl blue stuff or aspen, ignore what the dealer suggests, even the Stihl red stuff!

There's always one! Do you suppose electricians suggest you do an electrical course if you change a light fitting or a plug socket?

All the videos on how to sharpen a chain, dress a bar and fell a tree are online. You need to learn a normal felling cut, and I'd reccomend the Danish pie felling cut, as it eliminates the two you'd learn on a cs31 course. Obviously wear chainsaw trousers and boots and a helmet, keep the saw clean... Blah blah blah, the usual crap! Buy a felling lever and a high-lift wedge, these are damn useful! Oh, and run GOOD 2-stroke oil (jaso fd), the Stihl blue stuff or aspen, ignore what the dealer suggests, even the Stihl red stuff!

:thumbup: I love your 'no bullshit' approach Eddy. Bravo.:thumbup1:

:thumbup: I love your 'no bullshit' approach Eddy. Bravo.:thumbup1:

Ah it pisses me off, EVERY thread like this was the same at one point, homeowners ask what saw, answers are cs30/31 course, and a pro saw, then advice on buying a larger saw! I'm waiting for the 550, 560, 372xp's suggestions followed by the ms461 and 661...

Oh, final bit of advice for the OP, which ever small, cheap, light chainsaw you buy, don't bother with a 'tool-less chain tensioner' they're a silly gimmick, and snap as soon as you look at them, get a bog standard one and check your nuts :lol: