When is it too late to change careers?

Stoatally

I did try to get some work. I sent a speculative email out to about 30-40 local companies (and some national). Had 1 reply offering a couple of days that I can't make. I even said I'd work voluntarily for the experience.

I'm hopeful that when I've got basic tickets I might get some more offers

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find myself in a similar situation to you, I'm a Greenkeeper by trade but have used saw's extensively over the last 20yrs or so logging/pruning/felling of small-medium trees and have spent a fare amount of time around tree surgeons over the years but have only just got my basic tickets when I took on a new job !

I've always enjoyed working the saw's and work to a high level of proficiency but I'm a slightly over weight 41yr old so although I probably could climb as I'm quite fit and strong I think the groundwork side would suit me better felling/snedding/logging etc, now all I've gotta do is find someone willing to give me a chance which might be easier said than done !...

Uhhh, I may have to put this on hold for a year or two now as I've just signed up for college again for level 3 green keeping 'bummer' but at least it'll give me time to get a bit fitter (or fatter, one of the two) so that I can consider whether im capable of doing my climbing cert or not !...:thumbup:

Ur never too old to train for anything,try to get some casual work-weekends or evenings outwith your normal working hours.Even volunteer labour for free to get some experience.

Get your chipper ticket before cs38 its more relevant to groundie work.good luck m8:thumbup1:

There is some great advice in this thread. All good reading for someone older in a career change like me. I am currently recently qualified to CS30/CS31 level. Things seem to be heading in the right direction. I have just done quite a lot of limb removal and cross cutting (Silver Birch and Ash) for a local firm. More to come. I have another couple of people that are going to take me out soon. One voluntary/trial and one paid. Persistence and belief in yourself are really important.

I was thinking of booking the CS38 course next, but it certainly does make more sense to get the chipper first. Thanks stihlmadasever.

I will add that I am based in Shropshire and will gladly come out for a day or two of cutting, tidying, refueling, sharpening, labouring etc. with anyone within a 50 mile radius for a bit of help with fuel expenses in exchange for some more experience. I have my own MS 261 and PPE.

Depends on what you define as the small stuff?

Paying the bills and keeping a roof over the heads of me, my fiancee and the puppy aren't small things.

Having said that - the toll my job is having on my sanity isn't a small thing either.

4 weeks until my C30/31

I'm going to enroll on the RFS Level 2 today as well. It'll be tight month!

There is some great advice in this thread. All good reading for someone older in a career change like me. I am currently recently qualified to CS30/CS31 level. Things seem to be heading in the right direction. I have just done quite a lot of limb removal and cross cutting (Silver Birch and Ash) for a local firm. More to come. I have another couple of people that are going to take me out soon. One voluntary/trial and one paid. Persistence and belief in yourself are really important.

I was thinking of booking the CS38 course next, but it certainly does make more sense to get the chipper first. Thanks stihlmadasever.

I will add that I am based in Shropshire and will gladly come out for a day or two of cutting, tidying, refueling, sharpening, labouring etc. with anyone within a 50 mile radius for a bit of help with fuel expenses in exchange for some more experience. I have my own MS 261 and PPE.

Jeez does anyone remember when they were that keen,i certainly dont-it was so long ago.

I really hope some1 out there helps you out with some paid work and quality work experience.Beware of cowboy firm takin advantage though-nuff said good luck m8

Jeez does anyone remember when they were that keen,i certainly dont-it was so long ago.

I really hope some1 out there helps you out with some paid work and quality work experience.Beware of cowboy firm takin advantage though-nuff said good luck m8

Yes. I'm really keen. Haha! I have been taking the patient and determined approach. I know it will all really pay off in the end. I can definitely feel the tide turning.

Some good feedback from firms and employers these past couple of weeks. It is really hard when you are newly qualified with entry level tickets. Understandably, most people are looking for experience as they do not have time to stop work to give lengthy instruction tutorials etc. Time is money etc. However, most firms need an extra pair of hands for more basic duties on bigger jobs. That is where I am aiming at the moment. The experience and confidence will come from spending lots of time on different jobs with seasoned professionals.

I know that there are people out there that may take advantage. I'll be very careful. The good thing about being a member on Arbtalk is that it gives you a certain amount of protection as dodgy firms and individuals can be reported on here.

Wood chipper course here I come....:001_smile: