When is it too late to change careers?

Stoatally

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps you would be a good stump grinder operator ?

Possibly. Would the grinder qualification be worth doing? That and chipper are only a £100 or so. I may be able to afford those, just can't afford the 38/39 at the mo, especially with no potential job at the end.

Don't let any opportunity pass you by because of negative presumptions! Not everything works out the way you want it too but life has a funny way of giving you a helping hand if you give it a chance!

I've put my CV in for the Bristol £300-£350 a week job. They want to see me for interview but also want me to work for a few days to see how we both get on. It's a bit tricky whilst working full time. I guess I could try and boom a couple of days leave? Wonder if them paying me is an issue as I'm working for someone else?

I'm still keen on getting into it, and I do look at all opportunities.

Here's hoping.

• 1 month later...

SO.

I've had a couple of interviews. One was promising but just not viable as travel was too far away to make it work every day. One was for a big firm in utility, wasn't successful but they're going to keep me on the books for bit.

There's the possibility of redundancy coming up at work so I've applied. Would mean enough money to cover bills for a while, get a truck and some kit to start subbing and look to get experience. I find out later this month.

In the meantime I've signed up for a Level 2 cert in Arb with the HCC. I'm going to start that this week. I've signed up for self funded 38/39/40 in the middle of May. Looking to get some climbing kit together to start learning the ropes (pun intended).

It's courses and kit or a pick up, and I can't see myself getting much work experience just by having a truck.

I'm going to try and find out from the last interview whether it was tickets or experience that let me down, or both. I can fix one easily enough, and then hopefully that will get me more weekend work for experience.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sitting waiting for Monday as it's supposedly the day I get the 'Big Decision'. Where I am currently is going through a restructure, we were asked if we wanted to apply for voluntary redundancy which I did.

Next Monday I find out if I a) actually have a job in the new structure, b) don't have a job and am in the redeployment pool, c) have been accepted to leave with redundancy.

Whatever the result I've booked myself onto the Treekit arb first aid course on the 7th May and I've booked 38/39 from the 16th May for 8 days. The company I had an interview that seemed keen have said if I do the 38/39 they may be able to get me a role as a trainee climber so that's promising.

I will be moving careers over the next few months, obviously redundancy will make it much more comfortable.

While I'm waiting for the decision I'm shopping for climbing kit and saws. What would your recommendations be for necessary kit to get into the business?

Currently I have a very basic, mostly second hand climbing kit, small saw (Husky 135) and an echo top handle. I'm thinking expand climbing kit (longer new rope, maybe some shiny mechanical toys) and maybe a bigger saw - Husky 560? And a Silky - Natanoko?

I know loads of people who have changed careers at and well over 40. It's never too late in my opinion.

I quite fancy being a professional footballer, the money, the spit roasts, evening games in the Nou Camp.

I'm 52 now but was a pretty decent centre forward in the West Sussex League.

I'm going to jack in the tree work and give it a go!

I quite fancy being a professional footballer, the money, the spit roasts, evening games in the Nou Camp.

I'm 52 now but was a pretty decent centre forward in the West Sussex League.

I'm going to jack in the tree work and give it a go!

Go for it mate.

Age is just a number.

I didn't even kick a ball till I was 63, but with the right attitude I've made it to the top.

Yours sincerely,

H. Kane