When is it too late to change careers?

Stoatally

I quite fancy being a professional footballer, the money, the spit roasts, evening games in the Nou Camp.

I'm 52 now but was a pretty decent centre forward in the West Sussex League.

I'm going to jack in the tree work and give it a go!

Do you roll around the floor until the stretcher carts you away every time you get a bit of sawdust in your eye. If you don't then the transition to professional football just ain't for you

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So tomorrow is the big decider. Redundancy on 30th September would mean I could look for someone willing to give me an 'apprentice' position. No redundancy means I have to sell myself and graft like Billy-oh to show what I'm worth (which I would have done anyway down the apprentice route).

Either way I need saws and climbing kit for whatever is round the corner.

Suggestions please

The decision was put off until today. I have no job to match across to. So whatever happens I'm coming over to arb.

Now I waiting to hear on the redundancy package. If I get it then I can get some nice kit, and I'll be ready tot start on 1st October 2016. If I don't get it the package then I'll,be resigning and looking to start in arb by the end of May

I'm 46 after many years working in an office - I'm doing it - I would say go for it - there are climbers out in their 50s - just need to train the body for the change of pace - every day in the gym - get out there etc.

I'd like to think I've got a reasonable level of fitness. Getting 'tree fit' will take time. I should find out more tomorrow night, but I've taken a day's leave to go get some more experience.

Got a pretty full climbing kit sorted and a couple of saws so roll on the next few months.

The decision was put off until today. I have no job to match across to. So whatever happens I'm coming over to arb.

Now I waiting to hear on the redundancy package. If I get it then I can get some nice kit, and I'll be ready tot start on 1st October 2016. If I don't get it the package then I'll,be resigning and looking to start in arb by the end of May

Speaking as somebody who has been in your position, don't be in too much of a hurry to spend your redundancy money as you may need it to see you through lean times until you make enough contacts to give you a steady income. Don't turn down any opportunities offered, you never know what might come from them and be honest with your capabilities. You need to put yourself in people's minds as somebody they can work with so you are the first call when they need extra hands. Good luck! :001_smile:

Thanks Felix

If I do get redundancy pay out then I will definitely be careful. I'll looking for a cheap truck (we want one for general usage anyway) maybe a little bit more kit but it will mostly be there to cover my mortgage payments for at least 12 months while I transfer across. That and maybe a few bits around the house.

Once I know where I stand with current work I'll be taking pretty much whatever anyone offers.

Thanks Felix

If I do get redundancy pay out then I will definitely be careful. I'll looking for a cheap truck (we want one for general usage anyway) maybe a little bit more kit but it will mostly be there to cover my mortgage payments for at least 12 months while I transfer across. That and maybe a few bits around the house.

Once I know where I stand with current work I'll be taking pretty much whatever anyone offers.

Good call. You may find that you don't want to work for some people but you won't know until you try. The main thing you need to do is meet people and let them know you are available. :001_smile:

I'll also be sending a CV to all the local and some of the national firms, followed up by a phone call.

I suspect trying to get a year or two full time with a larger company - maybe utility work would be good for experience and then look to work with smaller firms on a subby basis, once I have more tickets and experience.

At least I have 38/39 to look forward to this month along with the Tree-kit arb first aid course.

Hoping to hear one way or the other tomorrow when I get back from my day as a groundy

Does anyone have any use for a part qualified arborist with some tickets and a will to learn. Available full time from 1st October 2016. Will come saws and climbing kit.

In fact - would anyone take on an older apprentice? I could do 1 maybe 2 years of shocking money in return for a good grounding and lots of experience