When is it too late to change careers?

Stoatally

You're past it. Just give it up and curl up in a corner somewhere.

If you don't believe what I have written above, then you can crack on and achieve what you want.

Just to get some experience, why not try to help some organisations as BTCV or the National Trust Volunteers? If you turn up with tickets to either of these groups, they will put you to good use straight away and you will readily build up some good experience.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Everyone.

I just found this thread and the words are very encouraging.

I am a fit and hard working 47 year old on a mission. I definitely still feel young enough. I made a career change 6 years ago. I have since been working in landscaping/grounds maintenance with a determined focus on gradually moving into a full time career in Forestry/Arboriculture. I am forging ahead and finding my way and I have never been happier.

The last 2-3 years have been more "tree" based. I have completed two Winter/Spring seasons working in the forestry sector for a local tree nursery. Most work undertaken was on large private estates. This has given me a great deal of relevant experience. I am also a voluntary woodland management team member for The Small Woods Association: Small Woods | Bringing woodlands to life

I also had a meeting recently with the Head Ranger at a local National Trust property with a view to helping out with their forestry and arb duties. Volunteering if you have the time is definitely a great way to gain experience.

I am now at that stage of making the next important moves forward. I have recently gained my all important NPTC CS30/31 tickets with plans to gain more qualifications in the future.

This is a very difficult stage to be at as I have very little experience within the commercial tree surgery industry. With this in mind, I am now looking to gain work experience with industry professionals in order to make a few more steps in the right direction. I will get there in the end. Cashflow is the main obstacle.

If anyone would like some help with basic ground based duties in exchange for some practical guidance and experience I would be very happy to receive a PM from you.

I hold a clean pre 1997 driving license. I have my own PPE and MS261 saw. I am based in South Shropshire.

Thank you.

Mitch

It will depend a lot on just how much you really want it ( and some luck ) do not see "arb " as just climbing though , good groundsman are also important , also the machinery side of things ... chipper and tipper , MEWP, stump grinder etc if you have any or all of these you can take on jobs and hire in the climber or a climber can hire you in with the kit !! Plenty of hedge trimming out there too .., logs , milling etc it is quite a big industry so you should be able to find a place , and most other Arbs are pretty helpful ... welcome and good luck ...

Thanks everyone.

A lot to think about. I'm planning on getting some basic tickets and the. Looking for someone to give me some weekend work. Also looking into voluntary stuff.

Happy to work for experience and firewood in my free time (not that I have much)

I find myself in a similar situation to you, I'm a Greenkeeper by trade but have used saw's extensively over the last 20yrs or so logging/pruning/felling of small-medium trees and have spent a fare amount of time around tree surgeons over the years but have only just got my basic tickets when I took on a new job !

I've always enjoyed working the saw's and work to a high level of proficiency but I'm a slightly over weight 41yr old so although I probably could climb as I'm quite fit and strong I think the groundwork side would suit me better felling/snedding/logging etc, now all I've gotta do is find someone willing to give me a chance which might be easier said than done !...

I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life/ couldn't for loads of reasons until I was 30. It is daunting starting a career in something as vast as Arb but if you want to do it you will. Once you realize no one knows it all and everyone is still learning life long you'll fly. It's all about being positive and getting the right mind set! Arbtalk is a great place to get involved, so your on the right track!