When is it too late to change careers?

Stoatally

I'm looking into what courses / training / tickets would be best to at least start getting some experience.

What would anyone recommend - I assume C30/3132 and CS38/39. I'm looking to do something early in October when my new leave year starts.

I'm writing to Westonbirt (forestry commission), Dyrham house (National trust) and the Wild Place Project (an off shoot of Bristol zoo) for voluntary work in the grounds etc.

Are there any other training routes, books, references or anything else worth doing?

I think I may actually have found the thing I want to do. I've never understood the education system - forcing kids into choosing stuff that affects their lives at an age they wont necessarily have a clue what they want to do.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try joining a tree/ forestry firm as a mechanic, then go from there. Our mechanic gets involved in all sorts

exactly what I was thinking , id have someone on who could look after vans, chippers etc when required but out on site the rest of the time

I came into Arb at 51 after 35 years at BT, a lot of that time working in a lab with no windows at their research centre. I do my own advertising and have a small pool of groundies to call on (young groundies... :001_smile:) and am plenty busy (people are waiting up to 2 months for me to get to them sometimes!).

So if you feel you can do the physical stuff, I'd definitely say do it :thumbup1:

I spent Friday sending a load of speculative emails to local companies.

Had a few replies saying straight forward no. The majority haven't replied at all. I did have one person ring me for a chat. He's on holiday so ringing back to talk next week. It would all be self employed so probably not doable just yet while o have no tickets.

One email was a no to experience due to health and safety, but may be recruiting for trainees in a couple of months.

I'll send some more out on Monday

I entered this field of work at 46. I had just sold a small business that allowed me to get set up with equipment and get my tickets (see my signature to save me putting them up again).

As soon as I got my 32 I spoke to the local Forestry Commission, who fortunately turned out to be a decent bunch and we agreed I would give them one day a week, when required to assist in the felling of trees following their Dangerous Tree Survey. I worked as a volunteer, under their supervision, using their saws, mine when I wanted to, under my own insurance, having shown full paperwork evidence that I had the tickets and insurance. According to the Beat Manager it was the first time the FC had allowed a volunteer to work with saws felling throughout the UK.

The outcome was a fast track insight to ground felling, later to include windblown of which I am forever grateful to Wally, Nick & Ray for giving me the chance. I now am on the list of Approved Contractors with the FC.

Once I got my climbing tickets I worked the local Sub Contractor circuit for six months and saw a lot of varied work along with a lot of varied skills sets from my fellow subbies.

As it stands now, I am full time running my own small outfit having taken the plunge to buy a chipper last Oct.

The benefits of being on the circuit allowed me to see good and bad practices, which mean I now link into 4 other Sole Trader types who sub into me and viva versa. These guys have a lot more experience than me and have mentored me to a point where I feel comfortable with most stuff but have the benefit of falling back on them when required.

This approach suits us all but I would stress that I only use these guys because I trust them and respect their experience. I consider myself fortunate to have these contacts, but it has come after hard work on my own part to prove to them that I'm not a "Handbag" that needs carrying everywhere.

My advice would be:

How long are you going to be retraining, as in not earning.

Know how much getting the gear and tickets costs.

What is your goal, employee or employer?

Whilst subbing works, the pay long-term isn't great after you take off the expense on gear and replaced parts etc.

Taking the plunge to be the business owner and providing a service and more income means vehicle and chipper, which means big outlay. Also security to keep things safe.

I couldn't have done this without the support of my amazing Wife, allowing me to take a break from the 50/50 split on bill payments over the last 3 years and me putting in when flush hasn't just helped - it's made the difference in being able to do this successfully. The fact her own business is successful made this possible.

Fitness & health are important, I'm ex HFM and a keen kitesurfer and don't struggle with strength & stamina, however I do shy away from kitesurfing since a broken rib a few years back, when you need to be proper fit and well to bring the money in as a Self Employed type, it makes you think on your social activities.

I don't normally post long winded comments and this is the longest on here. The reason that I did was to say "yes, it can be done & go for it" as others have said - but before you "go for it" work out where you want to be in 3 to 5 years and doing what and get a basic business plan set up.

This has come from the heart and apologies if it goes a bit all over the place, hope it helps.

Russ