Traditional coal tar creosote

Rye Oil Ltd

Just a quick question to the Arbtalk community. We used to sell the old style creosote in quite large quantities before they made it illegal for members of the public to use it. I am thinking about restocking it. Is there much call for it these days? Has anyone used the alternative creocote that we can sell to the public, and is it any good?

Obviously we deal with a lot of agricultural and fencing contactors, but not sure what people use these days.

Thanks in advance

Jon

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We buy the odd 25 litres can for around the farm. Lots of farm stores stock it now. Not tried the Creocote but heard others say it's not a patch on the original. Would have thought there is still a good market for it as to my knowledge nothing else comes close to original Creosote's preservative. Lots of folk still don't know it's back on the shelves.

Just a quick question to the Arbtalk community. We used to sell the old style creosote in quite large quantities before they made it illegal for members of the public to use it. I am thinking about restocking it. Is there much call for it these days? Has anyone used the alternative creocote that we can sell to the public, and is it any good?

Obviously we deal with a lot of agricultural and fencing contactors, but not sure what people use these days.

Thanks in advance

Jon

Hi JON AS JOHN JUST SAID COME ON LET HAVE IT BACK IT THE BEST ON POST THANKS JON

I noted our local electricty supply company, NIE (as was anyway) never stopped using creosote to treat their poles.

I "jarred" our head of Environmental Health on day re the Topic.

Because no other product was as good.

Despite all the research and copper based Greenwash products.

Simples!

Be wary of what you stock. The modern real creosote seems to come in two flavours:

1) Genuine stuff that's as good as it has always been and sold in a translucent barrel so you can see that the goods inside are consistent and display the same viscosity throughout.

2) A bit of genuine stuff pre mixed with waste oil and about one third of the barrel is filled with water. As oil floats on water and this stuff is sold in opaque drums (usually blue) you only find out when it is too late.