No certificate no chainsaw

Forest2Furniture

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These threads do make me chuckle.

Like most of the others, I don't think there's any need for extra regulation for being able to buy saws.

Personally, I feel the current certification processes are flawed to a point, but I do feel that some sort of basic training is no bad thing.

Who is considered to be more "competant" ? - someone fresh out of a college/training provider with a big pile of certificates but no actual real world exerience, or someone with very few certificates but has several years of experience behind them?

Maybe a better thing to be assessed in would be common sense? I can't speak for everyone, but I don't make a habit of doing something if I thought it would put me, anyone else or the surrounding area in danger (whether that be hurting someone or damaging something).

Sort of back to the opening post though, a few weeks ago we were a day or so into a job and were going to go back to finish it off the following monday, but over the weekend the climber hurt his shoulder and couldn't climb so we had a chat about it and I did it. They weren't big or difficult, but it meant puttting on harness and spikes for the first time ever, along with using a top handle up a tree.

Got it done, admitedly slower than a proper climber would have done, but everyone went home in tact.

Does that mke me a bad person becasue I've not got the "right" certificates?

Scariest part of the day; up a set of ladders with a set of loppers - bet there's more accidents with ladders than there are with chainsaws.........

These threads do make me chuckle.

Like most of the others, I don't think there's any need for extra regulation for being able to buy saws.

Personally, I feel the current certification processes are flawed to a point, but I do feel that some sort of basic training is no bad thing.

Who is considered to be more "competant" ? - someone fresh out of a college/training provider with a big pile of certificates but no actual real world exerience, or someone with very few certificates but has several years of experience behind them?

Maybe a better thing to be assessed in would be common sense? I can't speak for everyone, but I don't make a habit of doing something if I thought it would put me, anyone else or the surrounding area in danger (whether that be hurting someone or damaging something).

Sort of back to the opening post though, a few weeks ago we were a day or so into a job and were going to go back to finish it off the following monday, but over the weekend the climber hurt his shoulder and couldn't climb so we had a chat about it and I did it. They weren't big or difficult, but it meant puttting on harness and spikes for the first time ever, along with using a top handle up a tree.

Got it done, admitedly slower than a proper climber would have done, but everyone went home in tact.

Does that mke me a bad person becasue I've not got the "right" certificates?

Scariest part of the day; up a set of ladders with a set of loppers - bet there's more accidents with ladders than there are with chainsaws.........

no, on the contrary,it makes you a good person.

you took the opportunity that was presented to you and sounds as though you did ok. someone must have assessed your capabilities for the task and gave you the chance to prove them.

i worked for years in the oil industry and,particularly in the "old days"and for the american companies,you were always given opportunities to prove your aptitude for the next job up the ladder. if you did "ok" that job was yours whenever an opening came.

certificates are fine but all they prove is that someone has been assessed as competent at that particular time,not their ongoing ability to continue to perform well and learn and improve.

True, adequate training is the only requirement, but how do you prove it without a cert?

Competence is the requirement.

Training may lead to that competence, but is not necessarily required. A certificate may be used as evidence of competence, but is no guarantee!

Competence is the requirement.

Training may lead to that competence, but is not necessarily required. A certificate may be used as evidence of competence, but is no guarantee!

Nope.

Taken from the HSE site:-

Working with chainsaws

What you need to know

Chainsaws are potentially dangerous machines which can cause fatal or major injuries if not used correctly. It is essential that anyone who uses a chainsaw at work should have received adequate training and be competent in using a chainsaw for the type of work that they are required to do.

Nope.

Taken from the HSE site:-

Working with chainsaws

What you need to know

Chainsaws are potentially dangerous machines which can cause fatal or major injuries if not used correctly. It is essential that anyone who uses a chainsaw at work should have received adequate training and be competent in using a chainsaw for the type of work that they are required to do.

And that hits the nail on the head, the nptc tickets are certificates of competence. Bit like driving licenses, it only shows you were competent on the day. I swear fortune smiled upon a lot of people!