Grease gun overlubrication of roller bearings

martwizz

Thanks for all the info guys, I'm going ot have another close look tomorrow. I'll remove and clear out both nipples, and potentially blast the galley with compressed air to see if there is any blockage, then have a go at pumping excess grease through to try and clear out the bearing. As Johnny said, its the right side which seems to be a bit blocked up at the moment, as it takes the majority of the contaminant.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... but can one ever over grease a plain bearing? I know a build up of grease oozing round a shaft can be one of the ingredients of a grinding paste.

I presume by plain you are referring to phosphour bronze bushes etc. Not my subject but I would say no. Perhaps in an ideal world we should wipe off the excess for the reason you have stated.

which is one of the reasons for sealed for life bearings. Even just wiping over a grease nipple can push a bit of grit past the ball, but yes the nippe should be cleaned first

Agree with that, and the nipples should of course be in good condition to stop dirt ingress.

I regularly greased my Cranab every day of use from 1984 and it was still going strong when I parked it up 7 years ago ( must go and see if it's still there ;-)) but I'm seeing premature failure on joints and bearings on the firm I do work for simply because users don't grease and fitters don't read the service instructions.

Agree with that even more.

How's the family I trust all went well when you returned.

Poorly IME.

Yup, once they are on the way out they go downhill faster than grease able ones.

Its worth noting that chipper and particularly grinders can be a tough life for bearings and failures shouldn't be too surprising.

They are open to abuse particularly on pre stress control models. Blunt machines make things worse and its easy to flat spot bearings.

that's what I would have thought. We have a Jensen 530 with sealed type is there an option to fir the greaseable type.

Cheers

Chances are the housing isn't drilled for grease nipples so making it grease able will probably mean swapping the housing, or drilling and tapping the existing casting (not that simple without the right kit, if the housing even has space for it)

Probably an upgrade job.

Aside of the housing the bearing itself is slightly different, note the groove and hole in the greaseable unit compared to the sealed one, the sealed one wont grease. Its probably easier to just change both parts, while your at it fit the flexi tubes to them so the grease nipples end up somewhere accessible.

Bob

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=183396&stc=1&d=1433434835http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=183397&stc=1&d=1433434835

images.jpg.0d1409c25c88bf9faf1753d9d4c1e840.jpg

59766d3ad80e7_kabat182335020(s).jpg.af049b75036296eff695d7831f3e0466.jpg

Aside of the housing the bearing itself is slightly different, note the groove and hole in the greaseable unit compared to the sealed one, the sealed one wont grease. Its probably easier to just change both parts, while your at it fit the flexi tubes to them so the grease nipples end up somewhere accessible.

Bob

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=183396&stc=1&d=1433434835http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=183397&stc=1&d=1433434835

were can you get them flexi tubes from ,been looking but cant find them