Help to quote for this job

t0ny0k

I work for a company in south east essex, and people always say our prices are high, but it's not, we charge what the industry should charge, but with everyone undercutting everyone the prices go down, if we upped the prices over the whole country the industry would bloom!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I work for a company in south east essex, and people always say our prices are high, but it's not, we charge what the industry should charge, but with everyone undercutting everyone the prices go down, if we upped the prices over the whole country the industry would bloom!

No it wouldn't. People can charge what they like.

There's a thread just started with a guy asking price on an oak. Someone is saying 1500 to 2000 quid 2 days work.

Now if someone else was doing that job with a bigger chipper and a way of getting the trunk away ie grab lorry or tehehandler and farm trailer they'd do it in a day and charge say 1300, and still make more profit. Would that be undercutting?

No it wouldn't. People can charge what they like.

There's a thread just started with a guy asking price on an oak. Someone is saying 1500 to 2000 quid 2 days work.

Now if someone else was doing that job with a bigger chipper and a way of getting the trunk away ie grab lorry or tehehandler and farm trailer they'd do it in a day and charge say 1300, and still make more profit. Would that be undercutting?

Funny you should say that, it's my thread and I do have a grab lorry. But why be cheaper by several hundred I want to win jobs by £50 not £500. And a lot of guys should charge more, I notice a lot of talk on here of " me and my Groundy would do that in a day so £350" that's a mornings money for two if your working with the right kit and to earn good money. People who want to 'just earn a wage' shouldn't be allowed to run a business.

Edit- However it is possible that the guys doing a 'days work' for £350 May not be doing the same days work as teams charging £750 for their days work...

Edited by Billy

Hodge, I have a question for you. Are you paying for 'top end' labour, or are you paying 'the going rate' and expecting 'top end' service?

I'm paying what they charge, they set their rates and for the most I get good lads who get on with the job. I have found a decent few contract climbers I use now and things are better. I have learnt you get what you pay for most of the time.

Funny you should say that, it's my thread and I do have a grab lorry. But why be cheaper by several hundred I want to win jobs by £50 not £500. And a lot of guys should charge more, I notice a lot of talk on here of " me and my Groundy would do that in a day so £350" that's a mornings money for two if your working with the right kit and to earn good money. People who want to 'just earn a wage' shouldn't be allowed to run a business.

Edit- However it is possible that the guys doing a 'days work' for £350 May not be doing the same days work as teams charging £750 for their days work...

That last paragraph is so important Billy.

Typical 2 men, Tranny, chipper.

Plenty of start ups shoot for £300/day and think they're great.

Me and Stevo price a job at £450 and they bitch about us saying we're lowballers (they had £600 on it because it would take them 2 days).

We smash it in a day because we sort of know what we're doing.

These outfits either fold quickly or plod on propped up by Granny's money or service pensions.

I think we're still too cheap!

I'm pretty well sorted now with regular clients, but it took longer than it should have.

I can't believe how many firms want a reputation for being cheap?

I want a reputation for being good.

And having a nice arse and a winning smile.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

That last paragraph is so important Billy.

Typical 2 men, Tranny, chipper.

Plenty of start ups shoot for £300/day and think they're great.

Me and Stevo price a job at £450 and they bitch about us saying we're lowballers (they had £600 on it because it would take them 2 days).

We smash it in a day because we sort of know what we're doing.

These outfits either fold quickly or plod on propped up by Granny's money or service pensions.

I think we're still too cheap!

I'm pretty well sorted now with regular clients, but it took longer than it should have.

I can't believe how many firms want a reputation for being cheap?

I want a reputation for being good.

And having a nice arse and a winning smile.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I'd manage your expectations mate. I truly believe you can have a reputation for being good..,

I'm paying what they charge, they set their rates and for the most I get good lads who get on with the job. I have found a decent few contract climbers I use now and things are better. I have learnt you get what you pay for most of the time.

What are 'They' charging?....... Anyone running very basic gear for less than £200/day (in my case a Transit with a few power tools) is on a hiding to nothing, when subbing.

Not really, I just use a contract climber or groundie to assist on my jobs, I provide chipper, truck and rigging kit. They bring climbing kit and saw. I make a good living and so do they by all accounts.