Extensive risk assesment

Andymacp

I'm not sure if I miss read this post but, just to avoid confusion, Paul AATeccie) is Paul Smith (Technical officer for the Arb Association).

Paul Elcoat is someone entirely different. He is a business consultant that is employed by the association to conduct some of the approved contractor assessments.

Both Pauls are very good at what they do and top blokes 👍

Well I never, all the years I have worked with Paul Elcoat and I thought this was him, not much if an arbtalk user to be fair just saw this on the hop. You are quite right both top guys. Paul Elcoat helped us gain Aa approval and our ISO's etc and I would highly recommend him to assist with any bodies H &S advise. Sorry for the mistake !

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

after many frustrating years of dealing with company H&S tw@ts, I have developed a method of dealing with them, after doing a risk assesment for a job, I get in touch with the H&S executive (the real deal) and ask them if its ok, sofar not one has required anything added, in fact some have been termed a little to in depth, I then stick it in to who ever I'm doing the job for, and if they come back asking for more, I ask under what authority, and the mention of fraudulant missrepresentation, remember these idiots are company employees, not H&S employees, and are only trying to justify there jobs

No good for this task since a paying job depends upon it, but at some point I'd like to write a complete load of old tosh (supported by traffic light colours, tables, charts, numerical values etc) and a serious piece of written work and see which one passes muster!

I have been doing the former for years with mixed results 😊 I have noticed the more paper they require the less they want to pay and it takes longer to get paid if at all.

No good for this task since a paying job depends upon it, but at some point I'd like to write a complete load of old tosh (supported by traffic light colours, tables, charts, numerical values etc) and a serious piece of written work and see which one passes muster!

Like! Well said that man.

codlasher

after many frustrating years of dealing with company H&S tw@ts, I have developed a method of dealing with them, after doing a risk assesment for a job, I get in touch with the H&S executive (the real deal) and ask them if its ok, sofar not one has required anything added, in fact some have been termed a little to in depth, I then stick it in to who ever I'm doing the job for, and if they come back asking for more, I ask under what authority, and the mention of fraudulant missrepresentation, remember these idiots are company employees, not H&S employees, and are only trying to justify there jobs

That sounds an extremely logical solution :thumbup1:

With attitudes like this is it any wonder you don't get on with your clients? Just saying is all....

In my line of work (which happens to be health and safety) the client is king - I do what they want at pre contract and delivery phases. Seems like some people here don't know eithr how to talk things through or don't know what is required to be provided.

Tosh about the HSE and a complete misunderstanding of who does what - the HSE would NOT endorse of comment on your documents unless you were either appearing in front of them with a tie on or, if it was a scheduled visit. What they say has no relevance to what the client asks for.

Give you a tip guys - I am wound up just responding to a post on this website, imagine if you were trying to convince me you were safe to bring on my premises with my liabilities all around you. Talking to a friend last week who had our meeting interrupted by his phone, 'might have to go' he says, 'another contractor fatality on our clients site'

Get a grip and grow up - all this macho crap is fine until you realise that it creates a culture of indifference to some very straightforward stuff. If you want sensible health and safety then act and talk like sensible businesses - which is what you are. If you get narked that someone is making you do something then perhaps it is you who are in the wrong.

Last time I was on site that required all our documents to be presented at start of job I put everything on a cd and handed it to the forman at our induction, he looked completely baffled as didn't have a clue how to look at it. Twice I had offered to send it all over before starting but they didn't want it except when on site. He threatened to stop us starting work till I pointed out our terms and conditions stated if they prevented us starting on the agreed date a stand down charge would be applied.

Most of the time I find the hardest thing with dealing with on site h&s offices is they don't understand our industry and what we do and the level of training most of us go through far exceeds what most who will work on there site will have done but it doesn't fit nicely into there format.

With attitudes like this is it any wonder you don't get on with your clients? Just saying is all....

In my line of work (which happens to be health and safety) the client is king - I do what they want at pre contract and delivery phases. Seems like some people here don't know eithr how to talk things through or don't know what is required to be provided.

Tosh about the HSE and a complete misunderstanding of who does what - the HSE would NOT endorse of comment on your documents unless you were either appearing in front of them with a tie on or, if it was a scheduled visit. What they say has no relevance to what the client asks for.

Give you a tip guys - I am wound up just responding to a post on this website, imagine if you were trying to convince me you were safe to bring on my premises with my liabilities all around you. Talking to a friend last week who had our meeting interrupted by his phone, 'might have to go' he says, 'another contractor fatality on our clients site'

Get a grip and grow up - all this macho crap is fine until you realise that it creates a culture of indifference to some very straightforward stuff. If you want sensible health and safety then act and talk like sensible businesses - which is what you are. If you get narked that someone is making you do something then perhaps it is you who are in the wrong.

Bang on the money.

I've got to do my Confined space refresher in June. Best part of five hundred quid and a days lost work....... Don't get me wrong it's a 'bang in the ribs' but without it I couldn't work.

I've worked with two blokes that got killed at work. H&S in a sensible maner should be pushed hard.

I'll get me tin hat.

Last time I was on site that required all our documents to be presented at start of job I put everything on a cd and handed it to the forman at our induction, he looked completely baffled as didn't have a clue how to look at it. Twice I had offered to send it all over before starting but they didn't want it except when on site. He threatened to stop us starting work till I pointed out our terms and conditions stated if they prevented us starting on the agreed date a stand down charge would be applied.

Most of the time I find the hardest thing with dealing with on site h&s offices is they don't understand our industry and what we do and the level of training most of us go through far exceeds what most who will work on there site will have done but it doesn't fit nicely into there format.

Am I am laughing at another stereotype here?? This belongs on Only Fools and Horses....

There are several reasons for bringing documents with you and having them available to be read onsite prior to and during the work. You were in the wrong not to bring them. If 'he' (the obvious 'fool' who didn't understand you) had called for my input I would have called your bluff regarding stand down - I suggest others do not follow your lead on this unless you have established a cordon or 'temporary factory' that is under your full access control and demarcation and that this is contractually bound.

'They don't understand us......' and 'it does not fit the (clients) required format' Erm.... try thinking who is the lead responsibility on this work environment (whether it is a forest, wood, park, street, garden or wherever)- I'll give you a clue, it isn't likely to be you.

If I don't understand your processes or paperwork, or if I don't think it is good enough (that's right - you heard me) then you had better change it - or you are stopped at the gate and turned away - your loss, unless you have inconvenienced me then I'll chase your tail a bit.

Am I am laughing at another stereotype here?? This belongs on Only Fools and Horses....

There are several reasons for bringing documents with you and having them available to be read onsite prior to and during the work. You were in the wrong not to bring them. If 'he' (the obvious 'fool' who didn't understand you) had called for my input I would have called your bluff regarding stand down - I suggest others do not follow your lead on this unless you have established a cordon or 'temporary factory' that is under your full access control and demarcation and that this is contractually bound.

'They don't understand us......' and 'it does not fit the (clients) required format' Erm.... try thinking who is the lead responsibility on this work environment (whether it is a forest, wood, park, street, garden or wherever)- I'll give you a clue, it isn't likely to be you.

If I don't understand your processes or paperwork, or if I don't think it is good enough (that's right - you heard me) then you had better change it - or you are stopped at the gate and turned away - your loss, unless you have inconvenienced me then I'll chase your tail a bit.

One of us has read mr gits post wrong i believe its you!!!