Shorted on day-rate

Mark Bolam

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are some tossers out there, revenge is sweet, but in the long run how far does it get you.

Best action is to go down the legal route, most people when they receive court paperwork poop their pants.

Definitely wouldn't go down the dump rubbish on the drive, it's your reputation.

On the sly however:

I got sold a dodgy engine once, and bloke wouldn't refund me after I returned it, and he didn't get another one in like he agreed. Someone welded up his roller shutter doors one night, then a full skip got dumped outside his workshop door with the lugs cut off, then somebody took a scrap car in to get it MOT'd needless to say once the work was done it didn't get collected. Obviously nothing to do with me, but I popped in and asked if he'd thought anymore about the refund and he had strangely enough.

R

I can't believe I'm so het up over £75 !

If I ever talk to him again I know I'd lose it though.

Might just put his number up in a few phone boxes offering 'special' services...:sneaky2:

It's your £75 though. I presume you were on price for the job, not day rate. Day rate can cause problems like the above...

If your going to do the above leave it a month or to or it will come back to you!!

I agree with Stevies advice.Go and call a Lawyer.

People like the guy you are dealing with must also have freinds that could try the same tact with you.If he receives a letter from a Lawyer then its a clear message to him and anyone else that your not to be messed around.

Clients like him are clients you don't want.

Just knock on his door unannounced and tell him he has one last chance to pay what he owes you, dont tell him what you will do let his mind run overtime.

If he refuses to pay walk away saying I warned you!!

He will not be able to get it out of his mind for weeks after.

Then when you get home write a letter outlining what he owes you and why.

Then if no joy from that file an online county court action against him, he will not want to risk getting a CCJ, for the cost and ease of countcourt it's work it to get one up on him and it's so easy to do nowadays, you dont have to get up out of your armchair and he will have to pay your CCJ fee as well

That bit about "Mark stood looking at hedge for 30 seconds" is just un real !

I've tried to find out who makes those "Neighbours, holidays, etc from hell" programmes because they should do it from the other angle "Customers from hell!"

I only ever had it once where it was for an old customer who had a hotel. I did a dirty ivy and bramble clear type job. Followed up with 2 phone calls to find he had been sent to prison for fraud. The other hotel owner - who was there when I did the work - said yes of course he would pay.

Didn't hear anything so chased for a while then did the small claims form bit. He put "since Mr Dyer was employed the company that owned the hotel went into liquidation,".... He'd just started a new company and taken the hotel on in his own name!

It's not so much the fact of the £100 (cause that's all I charged) it was the dirt and crap I had to shovel into the back of the truck and the thorn scratches etc. that gets to you.

There's nothing you can do. Of course you want blood and payback but it's not worth the risk for a £100.... You just have to let it slide. After all thinking about it logically revenge will not get your money back but it could cost you a whole lot more....

That said we could start our own tree surgery vigilante group. Say 50 members. Some one has a problem like this so a name is pulled out of a hat and that person puts on his balaclava!! Nothing to link you to the crime then... well apart from this post :ohmy:

Edited by Monkey-D
Not particularly subtle

What a tosser!!!

One thing I would advise, is never, never, never, never!!, do day rate for private work.

I find its fine for commercial clients, they run businesses and know a fair days work when they see it, IME.

With private customers they see you stood for a minuet and are thinking thats just cost me £ !!

Give them a price, then it doesn't mater to them how long the job takes.

Edited by skyhuck

What a tosser!!!

One thing I would advise, is never, never, never, never!!, do day rate for private work.

I find its fine for commercial clients, they run businesses and know a fair days work when they see it, IME.

With private customers they see you stood for a minuet and are thinking thats just cost me £ !!

Give them a price, then it doesn't mater to them how long the job takes.

:dito:

I have always given private customers a price for the job, that way you both know where you stand.

I did have one old girl a few years ago complain that I'd done the job to quickly, after agreeing a price for the job. However she did end up paying after I explained that we had never agreed on how long the work should take. :001_cool:

There are some tossers out there, revenge is sweet, but in the long run how far does it get you.

Best action is to go down the legal route, most people when they receive court paperwork poop their pants.

Definitely wouldn't go down the dump rubbish on the drive, it's your reputation.

On the sly however:

I got sold a dodgy engine once, and bloke wouldn't refund me after I returned it, and he didn't get another one in like he agreed. Someone welded up his roller shutter doors one night, then a full skip got dumped outside his workshop door with the lugs cut off, then somebody took a scrap car in to get it MOT'd needless to say once the work was done it didn't get collected. Obviously nothing to do with me, but I popped in and asked if he'd thought anymore about the refund and he had strangely enough.

R

LOL -Splendid :)

K