L200 tipper conversion

Mr_D

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, I don't have an L200 I have a

130 defender. Most people are keeping timber round here, if it has to go I either come back with my big trailer or if there is loads I get a bloke in with his valtra and timber trailer. I have my tracked chipper on a Brian James 10x5 tilt bed trailer, I can fit my grinder on it at the same time.

Transits get stuck on a wet level playing Feild , they are great for residential work useless In bad conditions ,a few years back when it was really cold we lost at least a months work as I could not even drive the transit out the yard with the chipper on ... If your doing parkland , playing fields big gardens then a 4x4 is a must especially if you live in locations like hodge where a 4x4 is completely necessary full stop!

4x4's yes, tipper 4x4's? as before would a 4x4 with a big enough trailer for a tracked chipper and chippings plus timber not be a better investment, more space for crew/gear, more space for chip and timber, more space all round, tried and tested.

Transits and small 4x4 trucks are all going to be roughly the same in terms of capacity, I suppose the first logical step if your pushed for capacity is to add another truck and driver. If and when you have outgrown these you really have to consider getting a decent lorry. We have a use for a few transits and 4x4`s but its the lorry`s that shift the bulk of it.

Bob

that's fair enough, most of my work is in residential areas, parked up at the side of the road, on driveways, etc, any time I'm working in locations that need 4x4 access, its a case of point the chipper into the bushes and let rip, no need to remove it. I think a 4x4 tipper jeep would come into its own on maybe one or two days a year, I regularly have use of an L200 and Ford Ranger, fine for off roading but totally shite for carrying a crew using the cab alone. Be honest how many guys+saws+fuel+climbing gear+lunch bags+everything else can you get into a crew cab pickup? How good off road are they with 3m of chip in the back plus a chipper on the hitch? crew cab tippers might be able to do everything but how much of it do they do really well? Not needing one means I struggle to see them as anything more than an expensive gimmick, I can't help wondering if they are so good then why are there so few of them about, how many of the vehicle manufacturers produce tipper crewcabs as part of their mainstream range? not picking holes, I like pickups, but I just can't see the justification for a tipper one, that's just my opinion, and many of the vehicle manufacturers,:confused1:

We carry 2-3 guys in that truck with all the gear daily, i have a tool box built in aswell as what limited room is in the crew cab depending on if there is 2 or 3 guys on that day. Im not going to say its amazing offroad with a full load on as its not i got majorly stuck yesterday upto the axles as did the landrover 3 times but touch wood that is the only time ive been stuck with it and we have been in some very wet and boggy places. Only downside is it is pretty rubbish for timber because of the toolbox you can still overload your self but its not as easy and you have to plan what bit is going to fit in where but we just use our landrover or bring our trailer to solve that.