L200 tipper conversion

Mr_D

Just some quick back of envelope sums. I've done the sums for 3' high greedy board/box. ~Not accounting for box weight or tools~

Transit single cab payload 1175kg

Ranger double cab payload 1340kg

Transit l3.2 (10.5') w2.07 (6.79') h914 (3') = 6m3

Ranger l1.54 (5.08') w1.52 (4.98') h914 (3') = 2.15m3

Assuming woodchip weighs around 300kgm3

Transit = 1800kg (625kg overloaded)

Ranger = 645kg (695kg underweight)

Let's do sums for a more realistic 5' high box on a transit that makes a full load of chip 3028kg. (1,853kg overweight)

Transits may hold more but if DVSA catch you is it worth the fine and aggro?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Transits may hold more but if DVSA catch you is it worth the fine and aggro?

I agree. More than 30% (450kg in a transit) is a courts summons. No on the spot fine.

Plus you are likely to be moving into the territory of dangerous driving etc which will add the points to the mix.

Maybe as a one off but i can't understand people who do this day in, day out.

I don't get it, if you take the price of a 4x4 (a decent one as your hardly going to convert a scrapper), add a couple of grand for a custom tipper body, surely you'd get a tidy transit tipper for the same money, and it would hold twice as much chip. These custom 4x4 tippers don't seem to hold much more than a sided open back defender, which you could empty manually in no time. It would also be much easier to get parts if something broke as its a production vehicle. Granted a 4x4 can go places a transit can't but if it was that remote surely you could just chip into the undergrowth? I'm not picking holes, just can't see the need for that sort of expenditure. But I am a skin flint:001_huh:

Ive had 2 transit tippers and there great, you can fit way to much in and constantly overweight. We have a land rover 130 tipper which is over weight and i hate it im not a land rover fan. Now we have had our l200 tipper done that is our main chip truck you can get 3 cube of chip in the back its a very handy truck.

I'm just going by this

https://www.gov.uk/roadside-vehicle-checks-for-commercial-drivers/fixed-penalties

Either way it's not good.

fair enough. I was pulled over a while back and was significantly overweight. He was pretty reasonable, I asked the right questions I think which helped my case. He let me off but said that I was in the system now and the next time it would be court. They pulled me over 2 weeks later, they were looking out for me as I saw the copper out of his car on the flyover chatting with vosa, something must have flashed up on their computer as he ran back to his car and slipped on the A14 to pull me over. I was 4% over on the front axles that time