Tory Right to buy policy any thoughts?

egnsean

You are free to travel to any country within the EU & enjoy there health service & benefits system - what the Tories wanted - it's called the common market

Yep free to travel, but the other two, benefits and health service are dependent of the criteria of the host country! Ie you can't just go to Spain and use the dole and hospitals for free

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought mine made a shed load tbh, I don't agree with it but then i don't make the rules! I'd of been a mug not to buy it. You're a big supporter of the capitalist system Skyhuck I thought you'd be massively in favour? You wouldn't be a tad envious would you mate ( I thought you weren't concerned about others and what they have)

:lol: All it will do push up house prices further, it will assist those who already have a home and do nothing for those who are struggling to get a start.

Not sure on your understanding of capitalism, but huge handouts to a single group is not normally part of the model.

I am not sure what to think on the subject based on what happened to the council houses in our own small village.

There are six attached houses and the inner two bought their properties when they were given the opportunity first time round

The new owners were very pleased and proud of their new homes and suddenly the gardens had a makeover and double glazing went in and they rather stood out against the others.

This was at a time when it was hard to start on the housing ladder (when is it ever easy?)

As time went on the residents of the other properties seemed to find ways of increasing their benefits. Usual story of limping around town with a zimmerframe but playing football with the kids at home.

The motability brand new cars then started to stand out a bit against the tired looking vehicles of the owner occupiers.

The latest thing is that the council decided it had too much money at the year end so they opted to re roof all the council houses, which were perfectly good concrete pan tiles which would have lasted another century.

The whole lot looks a picture now with four properties with stark new tiles and two without.

It must have cost a fortune with full scaffolding and two teams of builders there for ages. But all this is lost somewhere in the massive council tax bill that we have to find each year.

I am not sure what to think on the subject based on what happened to the council houses in our own small village.

There are six attached houses and the inner two bought their properties when they were given the opportunity first time round

The new owners were very pleased and proud of their new homes and suddenly the gardens had a makeover and double glazing went in and they rather stood out against the others.

This was at a time when it was hard to start on the housing ladder (when is it ever easy?)

As time went on the residents of the other properties seemed to find ways of increasing their benefits. Usual story of limping around town with a zimmerframe but playing football with the kids at home.

The motability brand new cars then started to stand out a bit against the tired looking vehicles of the owner occupiers.

The latest thing is that the council decided it had too much money at the year end so they opted to re roof all the council houses, which were perfectly good concrete pan tiles which would have lasted another century.

The whole lot looks a picture now with four properties with stark new tiles and two without.

It must have cost a fortune with full scaffolding and two teams of builders there for ages. But all this is lost somewhere in the massive council tax bill that we have to find each year.

As above.

Before 2008, the Yanks thought it a good idea that housing should be available to everyone, they lent money to people who, it was damn obvious, couldn't pay it back..............the catastrophic rest is history and led to the rest of the worlds banking systems going in to freefall as these house "owners" defaulted on mortages and then walked out on the debt leaving.....us to pay.

It is a bit brutal but some are destined to purchase their own house and some will only rent, that is how life is, you work hard, accumulate wealth and purchase what you can afford. If a Government reduce housing prices so the less well off can buy a house, it is you and I, the great tax payer that will subsidise this. When some have worked hard to get what they own, it sort of goes against the grain that others can get similar wealth the easy way!

I personally worked some pretty long hours 7 days a week for years to pull together the money to get my first house whilst others took the easy option, make it too easy and suddenly it becomes a right that others should provide and that is wrong and is a malaise that has unfortunately spread in parts of this society.

I think we all aspire to get on in life but it should come with working hard, being smart and not from free hand outs.

I think this is a bit of Conservative spin with a Labour type stunt:sneaky2:

Plus the real irony was some of the new home owners doubled down (or is it up) and remortgaged the homes they never made a payment on subsequently, and blew it on fast living and consumer goods.

And then expect our sympthay.

Plus the real irony was some of the new home owners doubled down (or is it up) and remortgaged the homes they never made a payment on subsequently, and blew it on fast living and consumer goods.

And then expect our sympthay.

Yes, yes, but it wasn't their fault, it was the evil bankers!!!!!!!!!!:sneaky2:

Yes, yes, but it wasn't their fault, it was the evil bankers!!!!!!!!!!:sneaky2:

A very large portion of blame does lie with the evil bankers, without them forcing credit down people's throat who couldn't afford to pay it back the economy wouldn't have boomed as much but then it surely wouldn't have fell so far on to it's ass.

With great power comes great responsibility. (Or some shizl like that, best ask spiderman for the exact phrase)

The reason we are short of social housing is that once your in you're in for life, social housing should be there for people who need it, once they get back on their feet they should move out. That doesn't happen, there are loads of working families living in social housing who ought to have moved out years ago.