• Labour
    • Conservative
    • Green Party
    • Liberal Democrat
    • UKIP
    • SNP (Scottish National Party)
    • Plaid Cymru (Wales)
    • Not voting.

My guess would be the major parties have more friends in PR and the media. Not sure how old you are but the Tories were notorious for scandals around the time of Thatcher. It kept 'Spitting Image' going for years. New Labour became the media darlings and there was never a week went by without some scandal in the tabloids about the Conservatives. Another example would be the recent revelations about Cyril Smith, which were kept conveniently out of the public eye for years by his friends in high places. I suspect that they are all as bad as one another but some have friends with a vested interest in portraying them in a good light, while others have people looking to shoot them down at any opportunity. :001_rolleyes:

Good post!!!!:thumbup1:

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess would be the major parties have more friends in PR and the media. Not sure how old you are but the Tories were notorious for scandals around the time of Thatcher. It kept 'Spitting Image' going for years. New Labour became the media darlings and there was never a week went by without some scandal in the tabloids about the Conservatives. Another example would be the recent revelations about Cyril Smith, which were kept conveniently out of the public eye for years by his friends in high places. I suspect that they are all as bad as one another but some have friends with a vested interest in portraying them in a good light, while others have people looking to shoot them down at any opportunity. :001_rolleyes:

Nearly 30 unfortunately, but I am aware of some of the tory scandal and my dad has said if I ever vote tory I'm never allowed in their house again haha.

But yeah I do think the left wing media have probably jumped on UKIP a bit but if Spitting Image came back, they could do an entire series just quoting facist and dodgy crap they've said on twitter and the like.

I don't buy all that Tory 'nasty party' stuff. I think they have done a half decent job. That being said, I would like to see someone other than Labour have a go just to see what happens.

UKIP ?? Enough said.

You don't think the Tory party are 'nasty' Mr Idiot? Goodness me. Maybe this extract from the Telegraph will help to convince you - even the Church of England thinks they're nasty. Here you go:

'Thatcherism should be consigned to history because it no longer has the answers to Britain’s problems, the Church of England claims.

In a highly political pre-election intervention which has angered Conservatives and prompted a response from David Cameron, the Church’s most senior clerics said the free-market ideas embodied by Margaret Thatcher were “fragmenting” society and “entrenching” inequality between rich and poor.

They urged Christians to resist the power of big business as much as that of any over-mighty state and threw their support behind efforts to bolster Britain’s place in Europe amid growing calls to leave the EU.

The intervention came in the form of a 52-page pre-election pastoral letter from the House of Bishops, amounting to an unofficial election manifesto from the established Church.

It calls for a new approach to politics, moving away from ideas of left and right, and an end to “politics as an extension of consumerism” in which policies are spliced together to appeal to narrow groups of voters.' :thumbup:

Nearly 30 unfortunately, but I am aware of some of the tory scandal and my dad has said if I ever vote tory I'm never allowed in their house again haha.

But yeah I do think the left wing media have probably jumped on UKIP a bit but if Spitting Image came back, they could do an entire series just quoting facist and dodgy crap they've said on twitter and the like.

I guess I am nearer your Dad's age than yours then. :biggrin: Murdoch's boast after the 1997 election was 'It was the Sun wot won it' and he probably wasn't far from the truth which is unfortunately that the media can make or break people and parties. To be fair, 'Spitting Image' did have a go at everybody as does HIGNFY, although Hislop and Merton do seem to have a particular dislike of Farage. What really annoys them, I suspect, is that he laughs stuff off when they try and upset him on there. As I say, I am no supporter of UKIP but Farage is a very good orator and politician.

The conservatives may not be everyones choice, but the best of a bad bunch.

If Labour & SNP were to form a coalition, the UK is doomed.

N

No, the Tories are the worst of a bad bunch. If they form any part of a new government we're doomed.

You don't think the Tory party are 'nasty' Mr Idiot? Goodness me. Maybe this extract from the Telegraph will help to convince you - even the Church of England thinks they're nasty. Here you go:

'Thatcherism should be consigned to history because it no longer has the answers to Britain’s problems, the Church of England claims.

In a highly political pre-election intervention which has angered Conservatives and prompted a response from David Cameron, the Church’s most senior clerics said the free-market ideas embodied by Margaret Thatcher were “fragmenting” society and “entrenching” inequality between rich and poor.

They urged Christians to resist the power of big business as much as that of any over-mighty state and threw their support behind efforts to bolster Britain’s place in Europe amid growing calls to leave the EU.

The intervention came in the form of a 52-page pre-election pastoral letter from the House of Bishops, amounting to an unofficial election manifesto from the established Church.

It calls for a new approach to politics, moving away from ideas of left and right, and an end to “politics as an extension of consumerism” in which policies are spliced together to appeal to narrow groups of voters.' :thumbup:

I would need to see David Cameron's response. Thatcher was quite a long time ago.