When the customer does not pay

chippermonkey

Thing is with these companies like the one Felix is on about, is that they have entire departments whose job is to pay as late as possible, they have computer programmes devoted to accounts in versus accounts out, charge them all double then a bit more to cover the delay. They eat naive little companies like us for breakfast and don't give a monkey's.

It's nothing personal.

I was happy enough with my final hourly rate of over £100 and the interesting purple colour the manager of that branch turned. :biggrin:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Your T & Cs need to encourage prompt payment and punish late. Simple wording in your quote ( not your invoice,which is after the agreement of the contract and so unenforceable) stating that payment is due within x days after which the total is subject to a late payment of y% should have the desired effect if somebody is trying to maximise their profit at your expense.

This can work, but sometimes the same, worded the other way around, can keep things on a positive footing. 'My quote is x but with a prompt payment discount of y if cleared payment is received within z days'.

Coincidentally, the same psychology as is used for parking tickets.

Alec

On domestic jobs, do none of you go back and ask them why they are not paying face to face? i find people are so different when you ask them out right for the money, this email and phone call thing just give them space to not pay. I've had a few not pay but after a week i go back to the house and collect it. people can't get there shopping and pay weeks later, demand you money :biggrin:

On domestic jobs, do none of you go back and ask them why they are not paying face to face? i find people are so different when you ask them out right for the money, this email and phone call thing just give them space to not pay. I've had a few not pay but after a week i go back to the house and collect it. people can't get there shopping and pay weeks later, demand you money :biggrin:

Door knock Face to face always gets payment :thumbup:

Can't beat the embarrassment factor. It's always nice if you can time it for when they have guests. :001_smile:

Sunday mornings ive found are the best time to go and bang on the door for those domestic customers that dont keep to their part of the deal.

Couple of weeks ago we had 2 days work for 4 of us at a big country pile,arrangement as usual - payment at time of completion.

The 'lady' came out as we were finishing off to thank us and i said i will come up to the house in a few minutes to pick up the cheque. Took me 45 minutes of ringing the bell,phoning her,walking around the outside of the house,outbuildings and pool,until she finally in mock surprise opened the door and said i suppose you want paying now. I knew she was around somewhere and i wasnt going to leave on principle until i'd got paid,even with the guys sitting waitng in the truck on full pay.

A few years back had a none payer was dealing with the wife who basically told me I was not getting paid as there was some saw dust on the drive. We tidy up that well you would not know we were there. Called on a sat morning when the family were having breakfast husband answered very jolly and thanked me for the job asking what he could do for me. When I told him that I had not been paid he went bright red and told me his wife had the cash to pay the same day.

He quickly wrote a cheque with an extra £50 on it with her standing there like butter wouldn't melt. He owns a local firm she is a teacher :thumbdown: