All the gears, no idea....

ballibeg

Knowledge of land, traction, friction, forces of physics are lost on many.

They think they can do anything in 4WD.

I've often had the pleasure of keeping going in a van . Whilst others muppet on.

You only have to go down a single track country lane and meet 4WD drivers to know which can't use them.

They daren't pull on to the verge!!!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Young delivery driver just overshot neighbour's hard standing and got stuck in the soft in his big merc van. Neighbour's got a 2012 Landrover 130. Could they pull it out? Nope. They did tear up the drive trying though. After two hours van driver popped around to me. He was on his way 5 minutes later.

Landover in novice hands- 0

Ford 4000- 1

I'm not sure what they were doing wrong. Surely you'd stick a Landover in low and slowly ease it along? It wasn't badly stuck.

Dave

A fat chick on a push bike with a kinetic rope would have done that.

Bob

Years back I had an old dog of a Vauxhall Frontera . Driving through a woodland ride followed by another bloke in his series 2 Landy . Got to the block we were cutting and when I parked up he was nowhere to be seen . Had to go back and pull him out .

The thing is these skills are learnt gradually, or absorbed when around the need for them. If you are never around the need and don't understand basic mechanics it would be easy to become very stuck unnecessarily even if you are very intelligent. For instance trying to pump mud when it's too thick, you add water..... But to most that would make the mud/water in the wrong place a bigger problem and not be the solution.

Even though I think that sometimes I have to laugh.

Agree on that, I would say I'm fairly competent at extricating stuck vehicles.

Learnt through bitter experience and trial and error.

Knowledge of land, traction, friction, forces of physics are lost on many.

They think they can do anything in 4WD.

I've often had the pleasure of keeping going in a van . Whilst others muppet on.

You only have to go down a single track country lane and meet 4WD drivers to know which can't use them.

They daren't pull on to the verge!!!

I find that there are many 4x4 drivers who will not pull off a narrow lane or even slow down when I am on my bike. I make a mental note of their numbers for when we next meet on the lane and I am in the Fastrac.

Talking of which a man in the village rang for some help after the septic tank lorry had become stuck on wet grassland. He was a six wheeler and full of shite, but facing downhill and not that badly stuck.

No real problem , I thought, big chain and steady pull. I did think that the driver looked very young but then again you do think that when you are as old as me.

Signalled the start of the pull and all four wheels of the Fastrac turned with no forward motion at all.

Tried again same thing.

Went round to driver "Were you in gear?"

Reply " I didn't think you needed me to drive as well I thought you were just going to pull me out" This was referring to at least a three hundred yard pull out of the field, some of it uphill.

Of course when he drove the lorry it came out with no problem.

Bloke came to sell me something driving a Ford Expedition truck. Bloody great thing with Expedition written in big letters across the back. We went off to look at something in the middle of a grass field that was only slightly wet and eventually wheels started to spin until we came to a halt.

Engage difflock I suggest but he insists the bloke who sold it to him a couple of years ago said it was all computer controlled and automatic.

I got out and walked round the truck and sure enough the rear wheels were spinning and nothing happening at the front.

I asked him to turn the front wheels into full lock to see if he had broken a drive shaft but soon discovered the problem,,,,,,,, there were no drive shafts as the thing was 2 wheel drive.

He had been driving it for two years and not known!

What expedition the manufacturers had in mind I am not sure.

They walk amongst us!

god, this remnds me of the time I had to walk for miles over plough / stubble fields to fetch my old man because i got his Suzuki stuck (I must have been around 13-14) he raged for the whole walk back to the vehicle then simply slipped it into 4wd and pulled away leaving me in the field to walk back to where we were working, lesson learned and plenty of time to think about it.

reminds me of my first "go" at discing, with the David Brown 990, in heavy clay ground.

Dad was on the headland supervising and attempting to instruct?

Anyway about 1/2 way down the field I looked over my shoulder (to observe the fruits of my labours) and saw him dancing about in a very demented fashion.

I continued to watch while attempting to descipher what he was trying to tell me.

Nett result I did NOT see the wet patch to my front and therefore got well bogged.

I did attempt to explain if he had not distracted me with his histronics, I would have had a chance to see the clearly wet bit.

This only made things worse, apparently!