Anyone use vented bags for seasoning, storage and delivery?

farmer_ben

I'm looking to process a portion of my firewood production straight into vented bags this year as a trial, but I'm slightly concered about processor waste material getting in the bags. I'm currently using a farmi WP36 to process into large pallet structures and handballing the processed/seasoned logs into the builders bag on the truck for delivery, but looking to cut this handling out of the equation!

In amongst my log stack there is alot of processor waste ie. pieces of bark, wood chips/flakes, ivy, moss and even mouse nests etc

I'd be interested to know if people are finding this a problem for customers and/or the drying process of logs in vented bags. Do customers minds this extra ditritus in the bags, some i supose may consicer it useful kindling!:biggrin:

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some sort of grate between the splitter and exit elevator will take out most of the crap but tends to clog with some timbers. Failing that Fuelwood do one that bolts onto the exit end of the conveyor but depending on how your elevator folds up that is probably an issue.

Customers dont mind a small amount of crap as it can be used as kindling but they wont want a lot. Half a barrow bag in a cubic meter bag is excessive, a 10L water bucket full would IMHO be ok.

I have lost customers over to much crap when processing some Chestnut a few years ago.

A

seems round here some people are mostly selling 0.7 ton bags of logs, i'm gathering up and processing timber in the hope of getting into the log business next year, and wondering what is the best size of bags to purchase. Can't help thinking joe public doesn't understand value for money and can't see past the lowest price which would mean going for 0.7 ton bags like everyone else. What is your best selling bag size?

seems round here some people are mostly selling 0.7 ton bags of logs, i'm gathering up and processing timber in the hope of getting into the log business next year, and wondering what is the best size of bags to purchase. Can't help thinking joe public doesn't understand value for money and can't see past the lowest price which would mean going for 0.7 ton bags like everyone else. What is your best selling bag size?

Your 0.7 bags will hold a m3 by the time they've stretched.

If you can get some crates, spud boxes. IBC's you'd know what you are actually selling.

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/firewood-forum/51295-stop-giving-your-logs-away.html

Your 0.7 bags will hold a m3 by the time they've stretched.

If you can get some crates, spud boxes. IBC's you'd know what you are actually selling.

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/firewood-forum/51295-stop-giving-your-logs-away.html

Yes, after first use the 90x90x90 bags actually hold about a cube. I've tipped a box into them and surprising just how much they stretch.

problem you have is so many people just referring to a dumpy bag without dimensions not exactly informative and as others are saying we now do single use bags what your saving buy not filling the stretch pays for the bag.

We use a grill on the end of the conveyor to take out about 75% of the rubbish but in the near future we will add a tumbler.

have noticed that processors produce a fair bit of debris, loose bark, small bits of timber, etc. What's better, filling straight into the bag/box which means more debris which is bad from the customers point of view (if they're fussy), using some sort of grill or screed which removes debris but causes down time through blockages, or into a pile and then filling bags/box by hand or some other means which takes longer again but produces the least debris?

have noticed that processors produce a fair bit of debris, loose bark, small bits of timber, etc. What's better, filling straight into the bag/box which means more debris which is bad from the customers point of view (if they're fussy), using some sort of grill or screed which removes debris but causes down time through blockages, or into a pile and then filling bags/box by hand or some other means which takes longer again but produces the least debris?

If you want to take it out the easiest thing is just a grid at the end of the conveyor but the only way to get it all is to rebag by hand before delivery because you get a lot falling off during the drying process .

We don't take anything out because we found you just got different customers complaining that they have to buy kindling then. What we do now is just avoid cutting anything under 5 and then you get better quality wood.

• 1 month later...