have to give up arb

testcricket01

i know that feeling mate , not all companies are the same tho , but really dont throw in the towel mate trust me you will regret it in the long run

cheers i wont give in without a fight i mean even if i have join forces and keep my hand in at weekends at least i could come back to it that way still lots people in worse position than me i spose least i havent got to many bills or a morgage to pay or debts yet

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

unfortunatly going to have to give up tree surgery i think been scraping through for 3 years now but the resession has finally really done it which really sucks basically all ive earned ive spent on equipment so close to setting up on my own but i sub to both of the tree companys in the area and there dryed up so looks like im gunna have to join forces or something :sad:

Mate, I have one big regret in life – Not joining the forces. If that’s what you want to do – Go for it! You wont get a second chance. I used/still do analyse things, so much so that by the time I analysed joining the Royal Marines I was too bl00dy old!

Go for it. :001_smile:

As john says mate, do what YOU feel is right if you want to stay doing trees get flyers out, chap doors, put cards out everywhere by the sounds of it you dont need to make a fortune.

But if YOU want to join the forces go for that its your decision these forums are great for advice but all people can do is suggest a path you have to walk it, im sure things will work out, you woke up this morning its been a great day.

These things in life are just hurdles mate dont sit down at the first one jump over it and keep moving forward.

good luck

if you cant make money doing trees do something else, put the saws in a cupboard and go and find another job. simples. make a wage and play in trees at the weekend. what is for you wont go by you as they say, you wont be a failure you will be a survivor. say to your self ' i can and i will' make it your moto in life. if you can adapt to a situation you will survive. if you cant make money then how can you save money, get rid of what you dont need. dont see your parents as enemies, they are seeing the bigger picture and they care, very important and very lucky to have that..ask their advice, take it onboard and extract what you need. if you are above ground then its a good day my friend. stay positive, negative thoughts weakens the body and mind..:001_smile:

How about starting up a lawn mowing service come gardening round? I know you'll only have a few months now but someones trees need pruning every 3 years where as a lawn needs cutting every week.

All you need is a lawn mower and strimmer and no big waste to take away. You won't have to travel and if you can sign on your truck/van you are also a qualified tree surgeon you'll pick up treework on your rounds.

This is where I started from and built up. Put local ads in papers and do some cheap flyers to the tune 'Regular lawn mowing and garden maintenance, local person, honest, hard working and utterly reliable. No job to small. Good rates and friendly service is our trademark.' Or some such. You shoud be able to charge £12 to £15 an hour. As more work comes in increase your rates and charge for waste removal of grass cuttings etc. Mention the tree work later when you've got to know your customers and they'll spread the word for you.

You can save for a chipper and then when you start to let your gardening folk down as the treework comes in you can start giving it up (awkward and late paying customers first).

The less work you have = less people see you working = less work generated and it's a bit of a downward spiral so first off you need to get back out there where people can see you working. I pick up 30% to 40% off my work from people seeing me out and about.

Don't listen or take to heart what one company has said to you... there's plenty t**sers out there knocking you down just don't let 'em!

Treework has suddenly become a much more competitive business in many ways i.e. larger firms laying off and so loads more smaller ones have popped up. I've been going 7 years and can honestly say that there is no way I could start a dedicated arb business now and survive purely on that... there are just too many people working in this area.

Good luck with how it goes but don't feel if you're cutting lawns and pulling weeds you're not a proper arborist - you have to do what you can to get by. You sound quite young so you'll have plenty of time in the future to climb about in trees!

Re: the forces..you could serve for a bit, then come back to treework. If you take to it and are in there for the long term, as far as i know, you might be retired by 50 on a good pension. It might be a bit early to start thinking of when you're 50, but one thing I'm sure of: the days of early retirement, or even comfortable retirement, are pretty much over for just about everyone except certain professionals, public sector and forces. Also, one of my problems is that I'm in competition with people who've retired early on public sector pensions, and they're doing stuff cheaply just for a hobby. I wish I was in their position!!. If I could have planned my life out at age 20, perhaps I would have been now.

Hi There thats really really sad to even think about giving up something you love and have worked hard at for so long . You may have put years into learning the trade becoming good gaining certs and the equipment .

It would be the worst move you ever make if you through the towel in now. The best way forward would be if you are not making any money is to maybe do a part time job at something else for a while to help you manage financially this will take the pressure off and then you can have re look at the drawing board as to how you are advertising and getting the word out about your services and presenting yourself to the general public .

Sometimes when you are going through a bad patch and feeling low it makes everything feel crap and feel the world is working against you this can have a negative impact on your business and how you are seen by others .

The other posters have suggested that doing lawn mowing and strmming is a really good way to increase your trade as the more things you can do the more you will have to offer .

Make sure you have good sign writing on your truck /van and a T shirt with your company logo and phone number on it, large enough for people to see. People will tap you on the shoulder if they need things doing its a continuous loop .

Times are hard but remember this The brown and green suff we work with never stops growing and will always need someone to do it regardless of the economy.

Take care

All the best

Eastwater. :001_smile:

unfortunatly going to have to give up tree surgery i think been scraping through for 3 years now but the resession has finally really done it which really sucks basically all ive earned ive spent on equipment so close to setting up on my own but i sub to both of the tree companys in the area and there dryed up so looks like im gunna have to join forces or something :sad:

A good freind of mine says with his businesses that he is at his best when he is really up against it. This recession wont last that long. Dont give up! I have a business and I am struggling but I wont jack it in. Stick at it and fight through it. Good luck.

If you really want to do arb work then battle through it no matter what, get a second job and work the weekends.

If you dont think you will dedicate the rest of your life doing arb work then get out now and find another career.

Things are bad atm no matter what career your in, but I certainly wouldnt want to pack it all in now and try to setup again in the future.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

A while ago someone here recommended using Facebook. Means nowt to me but I think there was something said about getting your friends to make you a friend or something so that every hit on your friend's page had your details on it.