red diesel the law.

jase8519

Even if it is fitted with three point linkage and pto, and is clearly ag, dont be fooled. Some of my uncles mates got done at a ploughing match for running cherry. Even though ploughing is agricultural thing to do its not deemed as ag. It has to be "farming"

I am aware you can buy a can of additive to put in red, which removes water, settles sediment, libricates pumps etc etc etc but inadversantly turns the red dye a very light green, obviously i wouldnt use it on the road, your honour.

AFAIK you can run what you like on gasoil on private land, the offence is only committed if you are using it (or admit to having used it) on the public highway when you must use DieselEngineRoadVehicle fuel.

Had they lowloaded the tractor to the site...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been watching and desperately trying not to chip (ha) in where I don't know, and hoping someone else would mention it (so as to avoid MB's razor wit if I'm being a plank) but what about this....

It IS forestry if you need a FC felling licence? That may be the case depending on scale of the felling if it is a school? It may not qualify as an exemption so should have a FL? Did you need / have a FL? If yes, surely you're laughing and HMRC / VOSA can kiss your ass, or, if you should have, but didn't apply for a FL, you're up SC....

Good luck either way - I hope you can bend them over instead of having to take one!

a pretty comprehensive list apart from the high speed tractors bit.....20mph is the limit, and it only applies to vehicles that do not conform to construction and use act....ie dont have suspension on all wheels (tractor being a solid mounted gearbox back axle assembly) fastracs, unimogs, and trantors all have suspension therefore are not restricted to 20mph.....dependant on what they are towing!!!!

Re, openspaceman. I think they trailered it up behind the disco, however i believe it was private land, ie a farmer owned the field, however if the public have access rta rules apply. Also the old vintage tractor run road boys are supposed to run white.

Re, openspaceman. I think they trailered it up behind the disco, however i believe it was private land, ie a farmer owned the field, however if the public have access rta rules apply. Also the old vintage tractor run road boys are supposed to run white.

Yes I think you're right, places open to public are covered by road traffic act. A strict interpretation would make working on trees in a supermarket car park liable and I've tracked chippers using red across many car parks, so where is the line drawn?

The NFU found out about using a tractor for non agricultural purposes when they were nicked for pulling a billboard past a party conference in Brighton.

How about a twin tank system one for white for road & public highway work. The other red for work on private land. A mog or agricultal vehicles will drive on and off public highways all the time. Why should you have to pay full duty to work on private land fuel duty is sposed to be there as funding for highways maintenance. You can switch from one tank to another depending on mood and location of goverment employees. If theres White in the tank you have paid duty. How many miles you have done private or public is a guess!

Problem is with twin tanks you need a tap in the fuel return line as well otherwise it would just mix in tank anyway.

I have heard some people fill the original tank with white and pull the pipes off, however there is a hidden tank somewhere full of red, so if you get stopped and dipped it shows white.

Medium roof transits are great, slave tank above the cab with fuel pipes running down the inside of the bulkhead, or so my mate said