Who owns land?

simonm

Coleraine area in 2007-2008

£3,000,000.00/Acre

Cos a bloke I know was dicked for about 40% of an assessed £50,000,000.00 valuation.

In death duties as a result of an Uncles and then his fathers death within months of other.

It is about 15 acres of marginal farmland surrounding the farmhouse his family has owned a few generations.

Now surrounded by urban sprawl.

But will never be sold for development, by the current owner at least.

It merely being the land that was always there.

GULP!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not sure I understand that😳

I think I do.

Land ownership is really only a set of rights. We all dream of having our own plot with our own little castle and woodland. However ultimately it belongs to the Crown and there are all sorts of schemes that over rule those rights.

Compulsory purchase for a railway/ motorway/ airport perhaps oil or mineral extraction, military needs and much more.

This is apart from the whole host of regulations that come with land and home ownership.

Back in the 1970s I could do nearly anything I wanted here to the house, land and woodland. Could have cut the trees and hedges down and taken the old house down and built a bungalow.(but I chose not to)

Now we have been cleverly forced into an unwelcome farm benefit system purely to let the general public have cheap food so that they can become enormously fat and put a lot of pressure and cost on the NHS, but also to control the farming community. It has been very successful in both departments.

The result is that I now have so many rules about everything that I think I have less rights than I would have as a tenant.

I cannot cut down a branch from a tree bigger than my arm without permission due to preservation orders being slapped on in spite of the fact that it was my ancestors and myself who planted and cared for these trees.

I cannot replace a bit of glass on a window in the old house without consulting the council glazing officer (really!) due to somebody listing the property.

I cannot use a chainsaw myself without full safety gear and certificate on the farm, even though I do not employ anyone due to H & S laws and yet I could legally operate the same saw in the nude in my garden if I wanted to as it is not part of the business.

There is an army of bureaucrats thinking up ways to stop me doing things (read "Parkinson's Law" by Cyril Northcote Parkinson about how bureaucracy multiplies itself.

I cannot stop anyone from walking anywhere on the farm in practice and insurance and liabilties become more of a headache every year.

The legal sword of Damocles hangs over all land owners.

Shortly will not be able to have a pee behind a hedge without filling in a waste control form in triplicate!

Then I hear quite correctly "Well Billhook what are you complaining about it is worth so much money" but in practice I could not sell as it is my life and living. What would I do with the money? Buy a yacht, fast car holidays? Fun for a short while but not very fulfilling in the long term or healthy or rewarding.

Probably lose all the money with dodgy investments.

No I would probably buy a farm and woodland with the money which brings me back to square one, just soldiering along trying to make ends meet in my own happy way.

I think I do.

Land ownership is really only a set of rights. We all dream of having our own plot with our own little castle and woodland. However ultimately it belongs to the Crown and there are all sorts of schemes that over rule those rights.

Compulsory purchase for a railway/ motorway/ airport perhaps oil or mineral extraction, military needs and much more.

This is apart from the whole host of regulations that come with land and home ownership.

Back in the 1970s I could do nearly anything I wanted here to the house, land and woodland. Could have cut the trees and hedges down and taken the old house down and built a bungalow.(but I chose not to)

Now we have been cleverly forced into an unwelcome farm benefit system purely to let the general public have cheap food so that they can become enormously fat and put a lot of pressure and cost on the NHS, but also to control the farming community. It has been very successful in both departments.

The result is that I now have so many rules about everything that I think I have less rights than I would have as a tenant.

I cannot cut down a branch from a tree bigger than my arm without permission due to preservation orders being slapped on in spite of the fact that it was my ancestors and myself who planted and cared for these trees.

I cannot replace a bit of glass on a window in the old house without consulting the council glazing officer (really!) due to somebody listing the property.

I cannot use a chainsaw myself without full safety gear and certificate on the farm, even though I do not employ anyone due to H & S laws and yet I could legally operate the same saw in the nude in my garden if I wanted to as it is not part of the business.

There is an army of bureaucrats thinking up ways to stop me doing things (read "Parkinson's Law" by Cyril Northcote Parkinson about how bureaucracy multiplies itself.

I cannot stop anyone from walking anywhere on the farm in practice and insurance and liabilties become more of a headache every year.

The legal sword of Damocles hangs over all land owners.

Shortly will not be able to have a pee behind a hedge without filling in a waste control form in triplicate!

Then I hear quite correctly "Well Billhook what are you complaining about it is worth so much money" but in practice I could not sell as it is my life and living. What would I do with the money? Buy a yacht, fast car holidays? Fun for a short while but not very fulfilling in the long term or healthy or rewarding.

Probably lose all the money with dodgy investments.

No I would probably buy a farm and woodland with the money which brings me back to square one, just soldiering along trying to make ends meet in my own happy way.

Two things you'll never see in life....... A dead donkey, or a satisfied farmer.