Opinions please...

WillTimberlake

Evening all,

This evening I have received an email from a lady asking if I do grass cutting as well as tree and hedge surgery.

Basically she is approx 40 mins away from me, and the job is a 'small new build garden'.

I am just starting out doing my own domestic work. Obviously I need to get my name out in the local area but I don't know if it would be worth doing as I feel I would be working at a loss once I have paid for fuel etc.

I'm sure I could really only charge £10-£20 for it... (I've only ever cut grass for elderly neighbors etc) so don't really know how to price it.

If you were in my shoes what would you do?

TIA

I would try it out once , then i would i know how much to charge. Nothing ventured nothing gained

If its all new builds then leaflet the whole estate, they'll all be either looking for someone to now the lawn or thinking about buying a mower. Get in quick with a fair price and hope to pick up a fair few clients in one place could be a little goldmine

Bang on the money Bob:thumbup1: Our window cleaner started up on a new build estate in the next village, he then followed the house builders to another new build site about fifteen miles away, ninety percent of his work comes off these two estates...... Seems to be doing well out of it!

Bang on the money Bob:thumbup1: Our window cleaner started up on a new build estate in the next village, he then followed the house builders to another new build site about fifteen miles away, ninety percent of his work comes off these two estates...... Seems to be doing well out of it!

Yep, wish it was my idea but its not. Heard of someone who did this back in the late 80s, leafleted a whole estate, all the houses had really small front lawns only. He offered to cut and strim for £1,quick in and out, 5 mins a property and on to next door. Really paid off for him, ended up picking up whole rows of houses

You could blast over there and do the leaflet drop at the weekend, in hope that more people will ring you and you may get more lawns etc to do when there. Sometimes the success of a leaflet drop can depend on the day of the week you do the drop. Also mention that you do tree planting to as they may wish to get some screening put in place.

Many people don't agree with leaflet dropping,and do not get much work from them, but I have had customers ring me because their friend/family member had received my leaflet through their door and they had passed it on.

Right time right place, if you aren't out earning then people won't see the van or hear the power tools and trigger their quest for quotes of any garden requirements.

I knocked an overgrown spruce over in an estate of 80s built bungalows,i suppose there are 20 properties there,a few weeks ago,i hadn't worked on it before, and we've since done 5 more jobs on that estate,the last one we finished this week.

4 owners came out at various times to ask me to price up work there and then,and another phoned,as did the first one.

These small estate residents often talk to each other,once one of them has found someone to do there work who has proved competent and trustworthy.

When I start on my own did a bit of strimming for some customers, lead to a lot of tree-work. But I turned down a grass cutting job 4 years ago when I was asked by a new customer looking at work to do, what I did not know was he owned 25 house that need grass cut. Never mind