How to stop a thief

simonm

An ex employee, who was asked to leave after an incident where he let his temper get the better of him, apparently told my other guys that he knows exactly where all my saws are and will be coming back to get them one night.

Obviously i took this tip-off very seriously,and moved my saws,and re-doubled all security.

And i sleep with my ear a little closer to the window glass nowadays.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

An ex employee, who was asked to leave after an incident where he let his temper get the better of him, apparently told my other guys that he knows exactly where all my saws are and will be coming back to get them one night.

Obviously i took this tip-off very seriously,and moved my saws,and re-doubled all security.

And i sleep with my ear a little closer to the window glass nowadays.

People like that are all mouth, its the ones who say nowt that usually try and get 1 over! Your doing the right thing though.

• 8 months later...

A large estate/country park up this way has painted all their equipment in a day-glow pink, whilst it looks a little odd, they have yet to have anything taken, where previously it was a regular occurrence. Unorthodox but effective methinks.......

I still prefer 32g of number 6 shot though ...........

A large estate/country park up this way has painted all their equipment in a day-glow pink, whilst it looks a little odd, they have yet to have anything taken, where previously it was a regular occurrence. Unorthodox but effective methinks.......

I still prefer 32g of number 6 shot though ...........

Felix the chopper used to tramp around town in shorts that colour, he got nicked,so it doesn't always work:biggrin:

My tip is something that might be obvious is putting group anchors below the axles of machines/trailers and a short chain.

I often see people have gone to great efforts to concrete on a big post/steel eye but then chain the chipper around the tow bar/front etc. Easy to get a grinder/torch to. Two separate HD eyes welded to the base of a container, two separate chains going over the axles to the eyes with two big padlocks is my approach. You could cut it still but you have to slide right under the machines to do so and it would be a awkward.

Edited by richy_B

I was doin a privet hedge not long back, an some scum bag nicked my blower an chainsaw.

I wouldn't mind but I was working not ten yards away grinding some rusty steel rail from inside the hedge at the time..

I was livid to say the least..

Heres how the little scroat did it, walked past casual like and if I was bent over grinding, took a chance and grabbed my stuff..

walked a few yards up the road and his sidekick drove by picked him up or he threw the tackle into the van..

At one point, I saw them in action but didn't realize what was goin on till I was ready to clean up an couldn't find my blower..

I nearly accused my customer of nicking the stuff till I remembered that young blonde haired lad crossing the road then veering off..

Anyways, I always takes my stuff into the back gardens now, lessons learned an all that...

addendum,,, if you see a gypo passing by slow, double up on security...real fast...

I know their has been threads on here regarding keeping kit safe but after hearing of more and more stuff getting stolen thought id put my take on the subject. Keeping your tackle in a garden shed is NOT a secure place, neither is leaving it in the back of a van, landy etc. We always empty the van after work after catching scum on cctv looking through the windows, their is snotty old waterprofs inside and that's it. To stop a thief you have to think like 1! how would you break in? where would you look for stuff? locks locks and more locks! lights, cameras, Lock boxes bolted to the floor with extra locks welded and shielded, chains through saw handles, ground anchors etc. i got told that the key to not getting stuff nicked is to make your tackle look harder to steal than the next mans! I i know that if they are determined then they are going to get in, but you wanna make the bast*r#s work hard for their money!

Don't leave gear unattended on site, a chain on the cab floor and through saw handles is a good deterrent. Most scum bags who steal while your on site are opportunistic and are praying you forgot to lock the van, or left a saw for 30 secs while you get something. Its a Ball ache keeping your eye on stuff and faffing with locks but worth it if you get 1 over the thieving gits :thumbup1:

A mate of mine constantly leaves his van unlocked on site with stuff inside, or leaves blowers on the path while he goes in the back garden to drag some brash. Then wonders why his stuff has got nicked :sneaky2:

Actually I created a thread entitled means and methods of protecting your kit. Fast forward a few years it appears that some of the theft that has occured in the past has let up some. The registering of equipment program I believe authored by Steve Bullman may have helped reduced the number of reports of stolen kit on AT, however with out any actual stats no one really knows.

The main problem I see is the extreme apathy on the part of the police and the courts system within the UK. Sadly a certain degree of this same apathy bleeds over to the actual victims of the crimes committed and a more of the same attitude prevails IMHO. When and if the laws regarding the theft of property ever grow some actual teeth and the police change their policies I believe business as usual will continue and the thefts will continue. Most of your suggestions are actually based on common sense.

Sadly common sense is surly lacking on either side of the pond:thumbdown:

easy-lift guy

I use to have my saws and quality kit stored in those old tall food cages ? You know just like the ones found floating about the old coop car parks . I adapted them by welding locks and took off the wheels . Mini secure cage for free :001_smile:

Another option is a Gas Bottle storage cage :001_smile:

Or just dig a sizable hole in the base of your shed or garage and concrete in a large site box :thumbup: Then park your Van / Chipper over the top of it .