Do you charge more for commercial work

Dryad's saddle

Price is price surely? When I look to put forward quotations on jobs it makes no difference wether it be commercial or domestic as at the end of the day the same money needs to be made to cover costs and hopefully make profit...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Price is price surely? When I look to put forward quotations on jobs it makes no difference wether it be commercial or domestic as at the end of the day the same money needs to be made to cover costs and hopefully make profit...

I agree ,you get good and bad payers in both domestic and commercial sectors a good mix is ideal and ditch the bad payers quickly .

Price is price?

No it's not, if your waiting 30/60/90 days for money you have to charge more to cover it,

If you're mucking around on site meetings, risk assessments, plans etc instead of "500 quid to take down your oak missus, (client says that's fine) do it next Thursday, see you then" you have to charge more to cover it

And as I said before they can afford it so you can charge more.

I quoted a job for a large ground works firm once (through the brother in law of one of the directors) drove into London, looked at it,days hard work chipping and grinding so I quoted 600 quid.

They sent it back with a message that I should be around the 2 grand mark.

They had hundreds of thousands of pounds on this car park/slip road job.

Strange but true.

I tend not to do work for commercial customers but when I do price for them then I put a big price in to cover the fact that buy the time they pay I will have spent the money at least twice. They have you over a barrel because if you work for them it at least 90 days take it or leave it and often they want the best price. I'd rather not work for these types, 3 or 4 small jobs a day and I'm happy as the money is great.

I give my quote with my terms and conditions, including payment terms. If they accept then I expect payment within those timescales, and hassle them promptly if no payment. I've had some point out after the quote is given that I must agree to their payment terms. In which case I might revise the quote. Never really had any trouble so far...

Edited by sloth

Commercial can be silly, mostly no problem and a decent amount of work and they are happy to pay 'appropriate' rates.

I had a large letting agent in Worthing write to tell me they were changing their terms.

From now on payment at the end of the month after.... AND they would only pay if the landlord had sufficient funds.

They said it was possible for them to agree a quote when there may be insufficient funds.

I told them where they could file their new terms. Tons of work with other agents so not my problem.

Allow for everything that has an impact on the job and price accordingly.

Commercial can be silly, mostly no problem and a decent amount of work and they are happy to pay 'appropriate' rates.

I had a large letting agent in Worthing write to tell me they were changing their terms.

From now on payment at the end of the month after.... AND they would only pay if the landlord had sufficient funds.

They said it was possible for them to agree a quote when there may be insufficient funds.

I told them where they could file their new terms. Tons of work with other agents so not my problem.

Allow for everything that has an impact on the job and price accordingly.

Doesn't suprise me, holding onto money is an industry in itself.

You did the right thing.