Is the wood stove fad over?

cessna

6 Verdo briquettes from home bargains for two pounds seventy-something, weighs about 10 kg for the pack of six. The missus brings home a clatter in the back of the car anytime she's near it and we use a few of them along with our own stuff.

Much better than buying a lot of old soggy shite masquerading as firewood, easy to handle, easy to store, consistent quality, not hard to see the attraction if you had to buy all that you burn.

I only sell proper well seasoned logs, (dry!) a mixed load of soft and hardwood will burn beautifully on any stove, if it's a loose load, there is no cheaper way to buy your logs. I can understand someone finding the bricks easy to store and use though, and they are so light to carry, must be an advantage if you are frail/elderly.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only sell proper well seasoned logs, (dry!) a mixed load of soft and hardwood will burn beautifully on any stove, if it's a loose load, there is no cheaper way to buy your logs.

..............and to be honest I doubt any of the briquettes could compete with such a product.

However, as I'm sure you are aware, not all logs are sold so scrupulously!

I was given a few bags of briquettes by a company that makes them to see if any of my customers would be interested in them , they were,nt. They were stored in a dry shed, but in a couple of months they had resorted back to saw dust because they had got damp. This is surely the biggest pro for logs v briquettes.

6 Verdo briquettes from home bargains for two pounds seventy-something, weighs about 10 kg for the pack of six. The missus brings home a clatter in the back of the car anytime she's near it and we use a few of them along with our own stuff.

Much better than buying a lot of old soggy shite masquerading as firewood, easy to handle, easy to store, consistent quality, not hard to see the attraction if you had to buy all that you burn.

Verdo and hot ax are 2 miles from my house. Had a sample of each

The Verdo burns bright and lasts well but no heat out the stove so through the last of it on the bonfire no point using it in doors.

The hotmax lights easily and gets the stove really hot ideal as a starter wood to get heat quick in the mornings. I have never found anything that burns hotter but it lasts less than 20 minutes so up and down all the time.

You can 't beat a properly seasoned beech or ash log

I don't disagree, however that's not what I compared them with.

What did you compare them with. I sometimes start my fire twice a day and never slumber it. It always lights with half a firelighter, hand full of kindling and a dry log. I dont even adjust the flaps for the benefits I dont find it a chore or we would have scrapped it 8 years ago.

I think lots of wood burners fall into disuse as the owners did not realise the cost of firewood and the mess left behind. But i think there is a breed of people that will carry on especially when the price of oil goes back up.