Is the wood stove fad over?

cessna

. "a lot of old soggy shite masquerading as firewood"

That was the comparison!

Thanks for that fine representation in my absence. :biggrin:

Indeed I was simply making the point that a decent briquette was better than a poor bit of firewood, and that in turn was a response to a log seller asking,

"I think a lot more brickette type things are being sold this year than ever., is it because they are easier to store/use/?"

So as a sort of part-time briquette user I was simply giving our reason for using them. I was NOT implying that any of the log sellers on this thread sell anything other than an impeccable product, nor was I suggesting than any briquette would be a substitute for a good well seasoned bit of natural firing.

Hope that clears it up to everyones pleasement!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

..............and to be honest I doubt any of the briquettes could compete with such a product.

However, as I'm sure you are aware, not all logs are sold so scrupulously!

Pro's and con's to both logs and briquettes.

There is a vast range of briquettes on the market, some significantly better than others, and they cant all be tarred with the same brush.

A high quality briquette will out burn seasoned logs, and will burn hotter, as it should only have a moisture content of no more than 6%.

In my personal opinion/experience, there is more crap out there than quality, which is giving the briquette a bad name.

I think lots of wood burners fall into disuse as the owners did not realise the cost of firewood and the mess left behind. But i think there is a breed of people that will carry on especially when the price of oil goes back up.

is it going back up? Apparently it's going down, according to the guys in the city, then to 60 bucks a barrel.

I think stoves are becoming the in thing again. The danger is our home builder plc's, who build homes so small that biomass boilers and stoves, let alone storage for the fuel, won't fit in a modern home. Their quest for maximising profit and minimising floor space is having a negative secondary effect.

Rant over.

is it going back up? Apparently it's going down, according to the guys in the city, then to 60 bucks a barrel.

I think stoves are becoming the in thing again. The danger is our home builder plc's, who build homes so small that biomass boilers and stoves, let alone storage for the fuel, won't fit in a modern home. Their quest for maximising profit and minimising floor space is having a negative secondary effect.

Rant over.

Hi mate the price of oil was $44 to lower next 👍 but at pumps it still high thanks Jon

Rant over.

It is still going down but who knows for how long. Normally the oil companies strangle it and cause a shortage and push the price. Just shows how the world economy has slowed to cause a price drop like this.

It is still going down but who knows for how long. Normally the oil companies strangle it and cause a shortage and push the price. Just shows how the world economy has slowed to cause a price drop like this.

Indeed. It's generally reckoned in the industry (I work with them in my real job) that it's bottomed out. It'll bang along at about $50-$60 for a while now, and will only creep up slowly to maybe $70-$80 over the next 3 years.

By the way, the cause of the slump isn't just a slowing of the growth in China and the Indian subcontinent, combined with a reduction in demand in the West due to efficiency measures (home insulation, eco cars, etc.). It's also due to the increase in US production from oil shales. Saudi is trying to strangle investment in shale production by forcing the price down by refusing to cut production. There's also the Russia element at play - Saudi isn't happy with Putin, to put it mildly, and are effectively using their sovereign wealth fund to hammer him.

Interestingly $115 is what you get when demand exceeds supply by 1%. $45 is what you get when supply exceeds demand by 1%. It doesn't take a lot of movement in either number to move the market quite drastically.

The knock on effect for us is what happens when the hedging deals of domestic energy suppliers end. Their best prices will then fall - the drops so far have been in the "default" deals which are not tied to hedged contracts. At that point many of our customers will be expecting cheaper logs.

By the way, I hope that anyone who supported Ed Miliband's idea of capping energy prices now realises just how stupid it was. Many of our least wealthy are paying higher prices as a result. Where's the emoticon for a d*ckhead?!