Climbers disciplined for refusing tree

sawmonkey220

Won't they also need a MEWP for dangerous trees ? they do not come cheap , plus all the H&S stuff as well ! Also you need to find a lot of work for 3 guys so advertising , also insurance , training etc and after all that by the end of the first year how likely are they to have made more money than staying where they are .

Edited by devon TWiG

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At those rates it doesn't sound like they are making much, but fair point. setting out on your own is always a big gamble. Finding people you trust and enjoy working with, and covering the bills is a huge risk, but lets face it, currently they don't seem to be in a good situation. It may fail, but it may be the best thing they ever do.

I would be interested how many unclimbable trees they find when it's for their own pocket not someone elses. Also, it would then be their call, I've put off tricky trees till a good day, and taken simple ones when the weather is 'scottish', but I work for her in doors, and she gives me a fairly free reign!

to me its not about money or what he or she says, its about being the guy who can do it, getting up there and proving to myself that i can do it. Its about achievement, its the feeling of success and overcoming fear.

theres no such thing as an unclimbable tree, there is such a thing as someone who doesnt want to climb the tree. And rather than just say they dont want to, its a blame game! if you say you are a tree cutter climber then say it when there isnt a tree you wouldnt tackle.

This video is what every tree climber should want to aspire to, if you dont watch this and see what the basis of this job is all about. strapping on a set of spikes and monkeying up then go and get a job somewhere else and stop kidding yourself!

whether a tree is unclimbable is always going to a matter of opinion , I can't see how it can ever be quantifiable , it is more of a case " I can't climb it " which is fair enough or, "in my opinion it is unsafe to do so" there fore I won't ! There is always a way to climb any tree , but is it prudent to do so ?

to me its not about money or what he or she says, its about being the guy who can do it, getting up there and proving to myself that i can do it. Its about achievement, its the feeling of success and overcoming fear.

theres no such thing as an unclimbable tree, there is such a thing as someone who doesnt want to climb the tree. And rather than just say they dont want to, its a blame game! if you say you are a tree cutter climber then say it when there isnt a tree you wouldnt tackle.

This video is what every tree climber should want to aspire to, if you dont watch this and see what the basis of this job is all about. strapping on a set of spikes and monkeying up then go and get a job somewhere else and stop kidding yourself!

Again Stephen is spot on (great video), it is about the challenge of a difficult tree (I really should have had that breakfast with you while you were still in Largs, let me know if you're back over at any point!). If you want an easy life, then this is the wrong game, but having said that, it's a team job, and it should be something you tackle together. It sounds to me like this firm is broken, in which case, walk away and find a decent outfit that you enjoy working for/with.

Steve,

I am 55.

Despite driving some 20k per year since I was eighteen, sometimes stuipdly tired, prob not infrequently still "drunk" the morning after (we are talking 20 plus year ago)

And routinely, multiple times per annum driving in Europe, incl to Torrymolinas.

NO high speed, or serious injury causing accidents.

Only a couple of "fender benders"

Despite cough cough "probably" running very overloaded bytimes, but driving slower, and ALWAYS giving the other party the benefit of the doubt.

i.e Driving defensively, quite intuitively.

I use my fornicating god given brain.

Like, from 50 years of observation, the majority of the population do not.

I really really enjoyed playing with explosives in the RE, TA.

Prob somewhere on the now fashionable Autistic Spectrum (but before it was fashionable) and observing the workings of LA manual employees (& virtually unsackable) for the past 30 years.

Dumb and dumber aka Dunning and Kruger.

We are ALL different.

Some are not aware they are different.

That can be a problem.

This point was proved to me (twice) this morning by (I) Amid ranking officer collegue who expressed bemusment that area was length times bredth (PS he is a LA "education Officer), who strangly has had multiple car "accidents".

Plus another collegue who was convinced that E3(a) No. 3, was actually E3 No3, despite several verbal explanations, and hence dug a hole in the wrong grave plot.

One simply cannot "fix stupid".

Our current "world" is fixated on preventing stupid hurting himself and others, with NO consideration given to those who are not stupid.

I.E. Being able to risk access, a simple everyday dynamic mental excerise.

Best illustrated by the decisions everyone makes in respect of driving home from the Pub.

Some do, some of us dont.

Simples

Marcus

Edited by difflock

Steve,

I am 55.

Despite driving some 20k per year since I was eighteen, sometimes stuipdly tired, prob not infrequently still "drunk" the morning after (we are talking 20 plus year ago)

And routinely, multiple times per annum driving in Europe, incl to Torrymolinas.

NO high speed, or serious injury causing accidents.

Only a couple of "fender benders"

Despite cough cough "probably" running very overloaded bytimes, but driving slower, and ALWAYS giving the other party the benefit of the doubt.

i.e Driving defensively, quite intuitively.

I use my fornicating god given brain.

Like, from 50 years of observation, the majority of the population do not.

I really really enjoyed playing with explosives in the RE, TA.

Prob somewhere on the now fashionable Autistic Spectrum (but before it was fashionable) and observing the workings of LA manual employees (& virtually unsackable) for the past 30 years.

Dumb and dumber aka Dunning and Kruger.

We are ALL different.

Some are not aware they are different.

That can be a problem.

This point was proved to me (twice) this morning by (I) Amid ranking officer collegue who expressed bemusment that area was length times bredth (PS he is a LA "education Officer), who strangly has had multiple car "accidents".

Plus another collegue who was convinced that E3(a) No. 3, was actually E3 No3, despite several verbal explanations, and hence dug a hole in the wrong grave plot.

One simply cannot "fix stupid".

Marcus

Like!

codlasher

Some trees, rarely, are unclimbable.

Plenty of people have climbed trees that have failed.

I've had trees fail before I could climb them.

More often I've come across trees I could climb, but not get down without busting targets.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I have seen a lot of very good climbers that arent and dont aspire to be super heros. :laugh1:

There are trees that are unclimbable, you just havent seen every tree in every situation.

More common are trees that are climbable but the job spec makes the work unachievable through climbing. Im not the worlds best climber but I havent came across many of the above.

I have heard lads say they will pull the HSE card if they cba doing the job and I have seen people try and force someone to do something that they themselves could not do in a million years.

Both idiots on the opposite side of the fence.

I wouldnt blame anyone (who generally is good at their job) thinking in a certain situation that they werent happy and would rather give it a miss or do it differently.